suggested reading for future paramedic students

IanOlson05

This

http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiology-Biologic-Disease-Adults-Children/dp/0323065848

Particularly this

http://www.amazon.com/Ohs-Intensive-Care-Manual-Consult/dp/0702030961

Oh's is an exceptional book, easy to read all, all facts and no fluff. I needed this book 7 years ago when i was doing my degree

Bushy, I am not sure how helpful an ICU book would be to a fledgling paramedic student. For example, how helpful will it be reading about early goal directed therapy when you don't even know what CVP is or have any detailed understanding of sepsis and septic shock.

Recommending a book to an entry level student with a rudimentary understanding of medicine is exceptionally difficult. Anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and dosage calculations would be at the top of my list. However, it's still not going to be helpful reading material you do not understand. Therein lies the crux of this thread. Is there material that is inherently intuitive to understand that will result in high yield information for the prospective paramedic student?

Bushy, I am not sure how helpful an ICU book would be to a fledgling paramedic student. For example, how helpful will it be reading about early goal directed therapy when you don't even know what CVP is or have any detailed understanding of sepsis and septic shock.

I should learn to read better, i missed "future" in the thread title.

In all seriousness, these are the kind of texts we would reference in my education. Tortora and Grabowski for A&P, pathophys book i posted and i wish I had the ICU book for management. Those three with the huszaar ECG book and the pharm book i have somewhere could have been enough. Instead i spent upwards of a grand on texts i ended up flogging on ebay for a lot less than i paid for them

Mosby's paramedic book was a waste of a hundred and ten bucks. But i'm guessing those particular books are written to the DOT curriculum??

Buy the ICU book later mate and stick on the shelf, youll find yourself returning to it over and over again.

The pathophys book i posted is a must