Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

suggested reading for future paramedic students

Posted · Report post

What books would any of you fellow medics suggest reading for future Paramedic students?

Posted · Report post

A good anatomy and physiology text. I'd also recommend the class to go along with the text.

Posted · Report post

A paramedic book, maybe.. :bonk:

Posted · Report post

In addition to the A&P book I'd recommend a medical terminology textbook, not an essential but it couldn't hurt.

Good luck to you!

Posted · Report post

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Posted · Report post

This
http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiology-Biologic-Disease-Adults-Children/dp/0323065848

Particularly this

http://www.amazon.com/Ohs-Intensive-Care-Manual-Consult/dp/0702030961

Oh's is an exceptional book, easy to read all, all facts and no fluff. I needed this book 7 years ago when i was doing my degree

Posted · Report post

http://www.amazon.com/Lighter-Side-EMS-Published-2003-2007/dp/1455726990/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321989259&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Not-Ambulance-Driver-4/dp/B0006S0QBY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348364676&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/not-ambulance-driver-Steve-Berry/dp/B00069XCBE/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348364676&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Im-NOT-Ambulance-Driver-II/dp/B0006S0POC/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348364676&sr=1-6

Just for a start, there are more like this.

Posted · Report post

Bushy, I am not sure how helpful an ICU book would be to a fledgling paramedic student. For example, how helpful will it be reading about early goal directed therapy when you don't even know what CVP is or have any detailed understanding of sepsis and septic shock.

Recommending a book to an entry level student with a rudimentary understanding of medicine is exceptionally difficult. Anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and dosage calculations would be at the top of my list. However, it's still not going to be helpful reading material you do not understand. Therein lies the crux of this thread. Is there material that is inherently intuitive to understand that will result in high yield information for the prospective paramedic student?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chbare' timestamp='1348369317' post='287910']
Bushy, I am not sure how helpful an ICU book would be to a fledgling paramedic student. For example, how helpful will it be reading about early goal directed therapy when you don't even know what CVP is or have any detailed understanding of sepsis and septic shock.
[/quote]
I should learn to read better, i missed "future" in the thread title.

In all seriousness, these are the kind of texts we would reference in my education. Tortora and Grabowski for A&P, pathophys book i posted and i wish I had the ICU book for management. Those three with the huszaar ECG book and the pharm book i have somewhere could have been enough. Instead i spent upwards of a grand on texts i ended up flogging on ebay for a lot less than i paid for them

Mosby's paramedic book was a waste of a hundred and ten bucks. But i'm guessing those particular books are written to the DOT curriculum??

Buy the ICU book later mate and stick on the shelf, youll find yourself returning to it over and over again.

The pathophys book i posted is a must

Posted · Report post

Alright thanks for the feedback guys it is greatly appreciated I've had A&P and also medical terminology in the past. I will definitely check these books out.

Posted · Report post

It's a blog, not a book, but I truly, truly believe that it should be required reading for all paramedic programs....

[url="http://babymedic.blogspot.com.au/2006_11_01_archive.html"]http://babymedic.blogspot.com.au/2006_11_01_archive.html[/url]

Posted · Report post

Indeed a very good blog thanks for sharing.

Posted · Report post

Any time...

How goes your studies?

Posted · Report post

It is going good. At the moment just brushing up on A&P and Medical Terminology. Main reason I made this is topic is because I'm a huge believer in preparation.

Posted · Report post

I hear you Brother...

What kind of a program are you going into? College based or cert program? College based should expect bio201/bio202... (anatomy and physiology)

Posted · Report post

College level I will be attending Oklahoma City Community College.

Posted · Report post

I'd come help you out but eh ...I think I am still wanted in Tulsa County :D

Posted · Report post

I just looked into the prerequisites at the local college. They require a medical terminology class and strongly advise taking anatomy prior to enrolling in the paramedic program. I'd have to agree. I have taken both those classes and wish I'd taken A&P before my paramedic program. I remember sitting in A&P and making connections to why we do things as paramedics.

I didn't know that colleges had any prerequisites for the paramedic program. I think that's definetely a step in the right direction!

Posted · Report post

Nice Ian...

Yeah MG I think that many do. I had to have Bio201 (Anatomy) prior, and you could take Bio202 (physiology) at the same time as the course.

And yeah...it makes all the difference having even that level of college science before going into medic school...

Posted · Report post

Good Evening

I am currently a active deployed military service member and I am coming up on the end of my tour. I am not a corpsman, But I am part of the first responder team.
So I am currently looking to see about maybe finding a online class or something along that line to work torwards becoming a paramedic when I am done with my contract.
So if anyone knows a good direction to start heading in please let me know

Posted · Report post

I'm not a big fan of online programs, but TechPro has put some of their students with me for clinicald and the students I've seen seem to be pretty well informed. You have to get your basic before paramedic school.

Posted · Report post

Ian,
I am starting P school in 20 days and some odd hours (who's counting? :wave: ). I have been hitting the ol EMT text from back when, kinda helps a lot. As well as Pharm. flash cards that Mosby produces and all the other random texts I have received.
I have got to say though that the "Basic" material will probably lay that solid foundation (so I hear).

I hope the Mosby Vol. 2 Paramedic Practice isn't looked upon as a bad reference. Because, that is the required text for my school. :bonk:

Posted · Report post

I found out what textbooks we were going to need and purchased them ahead of time so I could get a jump on reading them. Hasn't helped much for pharm or cardiology (our instructors tests are extremely hard) but it has helped a lot with everything else.