Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rob Davis "Dustdevil" 2012 CAP LAB Scholarship

44 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It is that time of the year again.

As you know from the other thread the CAP Lab is very soon and is not something you want to miss!!

This years contest is simple. Write me an essay on why YOU should be sent to CAP LAB.

Last year's winners are not eligible. :)

I am going to set a cutoff date for the essay submission of October 31st.

Winner will receive admission to CAP Lab, hotel and airfare dependent on winner's travel time to location, provided you are located within the Continental USA.

If you are serious about attending, have the time and cost was an issue...here is your chance to attend this great event with little concern.

Good Luck!

****Please PM them to my box here. Do not post in the open forum.

Posted · Report post

When is the essay due by?

Posted · Report post

I am going to set a cutoff date for the essay submission of October 31st.

Posted · Report post

Do you have a link to the CAP lab?

Posted · Report post

24,853 views at the time of this writing.

1 submission.

A free trip for a little bit of your time...I assumed my box would be full.

4 days remaining....

Posted · Report post

So the deadline is September 31? That might be part of the problem because originally it says October 31...

Posted · Report post

My error....it is OCt 31st....

Still expected to generate a lot more hub bub (conversation) than 24K views and nada....maybe people in general are procrastinators...I snatch up free shit! :)

Posted · Report post

Maybe... :)

Posted · Report post

I will be writing an essay soon! Expect at least 1 more submission in the next week or two!

Posted · Report post

Is the CAP lab of any worth to a prospective EMS student? Or is it better suited for current providers?

Posted · Report post

I would love to participate but I am so AWESOME it would be a shoe in!

All joking aside, the scheduling is bad for me. So at least as far as I am concerned I am in no way blowing off the offer. I just would hate to compete and not be able to fulfill the commitment.

I would most definitely be competing if I thought I had a chance. I never met Dust Devil but can tell that he was dearly loved and respected by many here. The love that this scholarship is offered with is not lost.

I encourage anyone that could work it into their schedule to jump on this opportunity. So, everybody start writing about how AWESOME you are and submit.

Posted · Report post

Is the CAP lab of any worth to a prospective EMS student? Or is it better suited for current providers?

Great question. Though I'm not sure if they'll allow non current providers to play, I would think that it would be an awesome opportunity for future providers. Not only from an educational and pt exposure point of view, but the people that teach it set an example that all should follow throughout EMS.

I saw some folks that were too timid to step up in front of the group and speak, but that was their self imposed peer pressure. I didn't see a single instance of anyone, peer or instructor, that gave anyone reason to be uncomfortable. Should you choose to go I have zero doubt that you would be welcome by all, taken seriously as a student at your current level of study, and be really, really glad that you went.

Write your paper Brother! As ak said, there is, unfortunately, very little participation. I'd love to hear the thoughts of an attendee that's not yet worked in the field...

Posted · Report post

Great question. Though I'm not sure if they'll allow non current providers to play, I would think that it would be an awesome opportunity for future providers. Not only from an educational and pt exposure point of view, but the people that teach it set an example that all should follow throughout EMS.

I saw some folks that were too timid to step up in front of the group and speak, but that was their self imposed peer pressure. I didn't see a single instance of anyone, peer or instructor, that gave anyone reason to be uncomfortable. Should you choose to go I have zero doubt that you would be welcome by all, taken seriously as a student at your current level of study, and be really, really glad that you went.

Write your paper Brother! As ak said, there is, unfortunately, very little participation. I'd love to hear the thoughts of an attendee that's not yet worked in the field...

Well, shoot. I won't be able to attend after all. Recently started a new job and they don't give any time off until 6 months. Yeah, that's right. 6 freaking full months of working there for an extra day off. :thumbsdown:

Considering this job is what's going to enable me to take an EMT course, I value this job over the lab. I'll have to take it the next time it's offered. Sorry Dwayne, maybe I can give you an opinion on it next year.

Posted · Report post

Giving this thread a bump....deadline is fast approaching.

42,000+ views little to no response.

Posted · Report post

I will be writing and submitting mine tomorrow! Last minute I know but I will have it done, so keep an eye out.

Posted · Report post

Hello--I wish to announce the WINNERS of this year's scholarship.

I received several excellent entries but due to the success of the CAP Lab, I am only able to send TWO individuals. I did attempt to send 4 but that plan did not succeed.

Regardless....

Kate and Anthony were the winners.

They both have received FREE airfare to Ohio, FREE hotel rooms and FREE admission to the CAP Lab.

Congratulations you two and thank you for participating.

Posted · Report post

Very excited to go! Thank you for the opportunity!

Posted · Report post

The both of you had better learn something dammit.

And Anthony, if you win the airway gauntlet a 2nd time in a row, you better give me those shears you won last time since I provided your hotel room and all that.

Posted · Report post

Congrats, guys. Have a good time.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, man, I'm excited to hear how it went for you! Make sure that you bring back something to teach the rest of us...

Posted · Report post

The both of you had better learn something dammit.

And Anthony, if you win the airway gauntlet a 2nd time in a row, you better give me those shears you won last time since I provided your hotel room and all that.

Haha, deal!!!

Posted · Report post

Anthony, you're buying the beer this year.

Posted · Report post

If he's also buying the tequila then maybe I can push back my travel a few weeks...I mean, c'mon, a guys got to have his priorities...

Posted · Report post

Congratulations to both of you, I am most definitely jealous.