Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

just wanted to say hi

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

wanted to say hi since i am new to this. so HI

Posted · Report post

Welcome, are you new to EMS or new to the forums only? Feel free to join in any of the discussions which interest you, or create one of your own.

Posted · Report post

Hey there! Welcome :)

Posted · Report post

Hello William,

Good on you for studying to be an EMT!

EMS is one of the quirkiest but coolest subcultures you can find. It is both exciting and rewarding.

Don't be shy because you are just starting. We will be happy to help you along as you go through school. I have found the scenarios to be particularly rewarding in practicing skills and thinking out of the box.

Welcome to the EMTCITY!

Posted · Report post

thanks for the welcomes

Hello William,

Good on you for studying to be an EMT!

EMS is one of the quirkiest but coolest subcultures you can find. It is both exciting and rewarding.

Don't be shy because you are just starting. We will be happy to help you along as you go through school. I have found the scenarios to be particularly rewarding in practicing skills and thinking out of the box.

Welcome to the EMTCITY!

im working on straightning out my binder for my class... into the different divisions

Posted · Report post

Welcome William!

Let me be the first to say: Your grammar sucks!

Studying to become an EMT means more that a Bledsoe textbook. You are entering healthcare now, and it is your duty to progress your profession.

A great start is to present yourself as a professional. Eg: Neatly kept uniform, shiny boots, hide tattoos, no public obsene language, etc. When you are online you will want to choose non controversial screenames, and use proper spelling and punctuation.

Judging by your first post you have a long way to go. Luckily for you, there are many of us here that will remind you relentlessly since it is our profession too, and the way you present yourself is the way you represent our profession.

Happy studying!

Posted · Report post

Welcome.

Please take a lot of what Mobey said to heart. He has presented some important information for you. Well, he has presented some important information for all EMS providers.

Do not, however, take his comments personally. They are not intended to bash you. They are simply intended to remind you that you are entering a new profession in which a certain level of professionalism is expected.

Posted · Report post

i know my grammer sucks! and i know about all the neatly kept uniform and all that.. i am a firefighter. but thanks for the pointers

i know my grammer sucks! and i know about all the neatly kept uniform and all that.. i am a firefighter. but thanks for the pointers

Posted · Report post

Grammar*

Grammar*

Somehow, you admitting to being a firefighter helps explain things a bit.

Posted · Report post

thats not the grammar issue i just am not good at using english. i can speak it just not write it or type it

Posted · Report post

Is English a second language for you? If so, what is your first? I'm trying to learn Spanish and I feel like when I try to communicate I sound like I'm torturing the language.

Posted · Report post

english is my first language i have just had an inherited issue with english and spelling. im trying to learn spanish as a second language

Posted · Report post

Ahhh, something like dyslexia?

Me llama Trevor. Encantada Conocerlo mi amigo.

Posted · Report post

something like that i guess and hey now im not that far into spanish yet.. im still going through grammar stuff and not forming spanish sentences yet

Posted · Report post

Chuckle, no worries, I'm not that great at it either and I haven't been very faithful to my rosetta stone.

Posted · Report post

something like that i guess and hey now im not that far into spanish yet.. im still going through grammar stuff and not forming spanish sentences yet

Of course you really aren't forming english sentences yet either :whistle:

Little humor there for ya.

On a serious note, have you considered an online english writing course?

Going into EMS with terrible writing skills is going to open you up to legal problems with your patient care documentation. This will really plague you for your entire career.

Posted · Report post

im actually sitting in classes which doesnt help me any... my teacher wont stick with one language she will be speaking english more than spanish

Of course you really aren't forming english sentences yet either :whistle:

Little humor there for ya.

On a serious note, have you considered an online english writing course?

Going into EMS with terrible writing skills is going to open you up to legal problems with your patient care documentation. This will really plague you for your entire career.

i can do patient documentation with no problems passed that in my class

Posted · Report post

i can do patient documentation with no problems passed that in my class

I won't bite this hook because I suspect you are very young.

Let me just say as a generic statement "I passed it in school" is not a good defence, either in court, practicum, or consulting experts in the subject matter.

The proof is in the pudding my friend, and I guarantee your school has not prepared you to write legal documentation regarding patient care.

Posted · Report post

I won't bite this hook because I suspect you are very young.

Let me just say as a generic statement "I passed it in school" is not a good defence, either in court, practicum, or consulting experts in the subject matter.

The proof is in the pudding my friend, and I guarantee your school has not prepared you to write legal documentation regarding patient care.

oooo i see a spelling mistake in your reply on my topic its defense not defence sir

plus im starting into clinicals before long to add to that so ill get my practice

Posted · Report post

If I was a lawyer, I'd eat your reports for breakfast. The fact that you passed "documentation" in your class doesn't mean anything.

Do you want to improve your English language skills? Or do you honestly not care?

There's lots of *great* and I mean *GREAT* medics here trying to give you a bigger picture... you yourself admit you're in your teens (that's when I started as well, by the way) so you should realize that your job is to be a giant sponge and absorb all the wonderful information thrown your way. Once you've been a provider for a while you can decide which bits to chuck aside as unimportant...

I'll give you several instances in which English mastery is important:

-Resume. You hand me a resume with no capitalization, word misuse, spelling errors? I'm going to round file it. It's my first impression of you.

-Documentation. As I said above, if I were a lawyer, I'd eat your reports for breakfast. You can learn to do better, and you should- not just for your own professionalism, but to contribute to our profession as a whole.

-Professional communication in the workplace. There are many who will miss the message for the mistakes in your communication. Email is your friend, both CYA and rapid communication wise... if you can't learn to write one quickly and correctly, it'll hold you back.

Welcome to the City! You're going to do great. Ask lots of questions, and put your all into it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student (21 days and counting)

oooo i see a spelling mistake in your reply on my topic its defense not defence sir

plus im starting into clinicals before long to add to that so ill get my practice

Dude. Mobey uses Canadian English. He's in CANADA. Ergo, British English spellings... extra vowels here and there... c's instead of s's... you get my drift...

Just saying...

Posted · Report post

Too bad

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

i appreciate the help but can my english grammar and such issue be put by the away side and can i get some advice on how i can really get more into all the class and everything... yes i am young and taking on a lot for being this young... but im trying to get some help to point me in the right direction so i can actually get my emt license

and sorry to all i was coming off as a jerk to

Posted (edited) · Report post

C'mon guys, cut the kid a little slack. He's pointed out that he has what sounds to me to be some sort of minor learning disability that makes written communication difficult. I remember there was a time that I was so new to something that I didn't even have the comprehension to know what questions I needed to ask. Just because he can't press the "shift" key when he types doesn't mean he's a complete failure. How are we to know he can't scribe like a monk?

Dude. Mobey uses Canadian English. He's in CANADA. Ergo, British English spellings... extra vowels here and there... c's instead of s's... you get my drift...

Just saying...

and our dates are dd/mm/yy. :D

Edited by Arctickat

Posted · Report post

but honestly im all new at this and really am nervous at asking questions and cant figure out which ones to ask.. if i could get any help would help me a lot