Has anyone else seen this?

Guest ~~~

I was in a town in the state, in the coal belt, on the way back from an expo. We ventured off the normal beaten path for something to eat (and drink...ahem..) There was a freight train coming down the middle of town, right down the street.

I always find it fascinating see third world people living in a world that is infinitely more dangerous than ours. One could think that they have adapted to the hardships and dangers of life without safeguards or lawsuits. What I really think is that our safer world has made us more careless.

I was in a town in the state, in the coal belt, on the way back from an expo. We ventured off the normal beaten path for something to eat (and drink...ahem..) There was a freight train coming down the middle of town, right down the street.

Sounds completely normal. Unless if you live in San Francisco. ( or that town you went through .. )

I always find it fascinating see third world people living in a world that is infinitely more dangerous than ours. One could think that they have adapted to the hardships and dangers of life without safeguards or lawsuits. What I really think is that our safer world has made us more careless.

Agreed.

I noticed something similar to this doing a transfer through Michigan City last week. It's pretty wacky to see a train moving down the middle of the street.

• South Shore Line, [1] . The South Shore Line is an interurban commuter line running from Chicago to South Bend that serves much of northern Indiana and has two stops in Michigan City - 11th Street and Caroll Avenue stations. The former is located in the city's historic downtown. It's original station house is currently shuttered, so riders have to make due with a small passenger shelter located at the tip of the adjacent parking lot. The later station is located near Michigan City's southern border, within the railroad's depot and repair facilities. late at night and early in the morning, South Shore Line trains only run between this station and South Bend.

South Shore Line runs on a single track embedded in the middle of the street as it travels though the Michigan City. When the train stops at 11th Street station, it literally stops in the middle of the street. The city designed special traffic lights that automatically signal the cars not to travel on this section of the street when the train is picking up and dropping off passengers.

Then, there's the "El". Those are any elevated train lines running in New York or Chicago. Trains running every few minutes, right outside your 3rd story windows? Don't know how my dad's mom did that, in Boro Park, Brooklyn, for so many years.