Passing the NREMT

Jarvy17

Hi guys!! So I completed the EMT course in may and I have taken the NREMT test 2 and failed both time :( I studied so much for both and understand the material! I love medical and nursing, I have been wanting to be apart of it since I was little. but now I'm a little hesitate on taking it for my 3 attempt!!! Any suggestions or helpful study tips??

• Like 1

Unfortunately, you do not understand the material nor the framework to put the material in the context of a registry question. Are you able to access the score reports? What areas are you consistently failing? In addition, do you understand what the questions are asking? Are you well versed in taking tests and quickly dissecting test questions?

Be brutally honest and really ask yourself if you understand what the questions are asking. One of the best exercises is sitting down and taking timed mock registry exams then grading yourself with brutal honesty and close attention to understanding the questions.

• Like 1

I understand the questions, I believe test anxiety is a big part of it but also another big issue is finding the "right" answer, I know there's 2 right ones, it's just knowing which one is the better one..and that's my weakness.. I have taken many practice tests and get better.. I guess I want to know how I can get my mind wrapped around the medical questions and breaking it down so I know it's the better one rather than the right one

• Like 1

I had the same problem but finally passed NREMT on my third attempt. What helped me the most was a certain website (private message me for the link). It was reccommended to me by my EMT instructor. It costs a fee, basically $50 for a month, but for me, it was worth it. Plus it's guaranteed that you pass the exam or get your money back. They have some really good practice exams and they explain all the answers, including why the correct answer is correct and why each of the others is not. I took several of the tests and then printed them out, and used them as study guides.

• Like 1

Is this for your EMT Basic level? Every question on the Registry can be answered correctly using your patient assessments either Trauma or Medical and using the basic knowledge and termonolgy. What's the first thing you do when you arrive on scene? Scene Safety, BSI, # of patients . . . when you read the questions, what is the correct answer that happens first in your assessment? Do the answers come from the Scene Size Up, do they refer to your initial assessment? If you don't have your assessments solidified in your mind frontwards and backwards you will not pass this test. Was your curriculum AHA 2010 compliant? If not, you need to take a look at that as well.

• Like 1

I had the same problem but finally passed NREMT on my third attempt. What helped me the most was a certain website (private message me for the link). It was reccommended to me by my EMT instructor. It costs a fee, basically $50 for a month, but for me, it was worth it. Plus it's guaranteed that you pass the exam or get your money back. They have some really good practice exams and they explain all the answers, including why the correct answer is correct and why each of the others is not. I took several of the tests and then printed them out, and used them as study guides.

getting his/her money back is the least of his/her worries if he/she doesn't pass the registry test this third time don't you think?

I agree with Chris, you need to get your breakdown scores and look at what you are proficient in and what you are not. Then work on that.

I'm not sure how long you have to take the written again but I'd use that time to maybe take a refresher course.

It seems that what you are currently doing is just not cutting the mustard so you need to go about it from a completely different angle.

I'm not sure how you have been studying but maybe if you outline your study regimen here you will get some tips on what to do differently.

If you are reading and taking tests after reading then that's not the right way to go.

Do you have access to a community college? They have learning labs that can help you work on overcoming your test anxiety and if you took your emt class from a community college then they should be able to help you free of charge or at a reduced rate.

Maybe you just need to take the emt class again? Sometimes people just don't get the material the first time around. I know several people who failed the registry twice and said FRick it and took the class again. They passed the first time on the 2nd time around.

But honestly, this is basic stuff, what are you missing? That's what you have to dig down deep and figure out. What are you missing that is making you fail? What concepts are you not grasping? What items are you not getting, what big picture are you not latching onto that is making you fail the exam?

Once you figure that out, you will, I am sure, Pass the test. It's up to you "grasshopper" to figure that out.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your feedback! My study material is of course the book itself, i have a couple EMT practice tests that I have been doing and also notes from class, and I have downloaded and printed off stuff as well. But I am always doing practice exams, and writing down the ones i missed and why. I took my 2 test about 3 months ago and i have I believe 2 years to take all 3. I was looking at a refresher course and I did email the EMT teachers and ask if they have something a school or a tutor they can help me with. I really dont want to pay for the class again because Im also trying to get into nursing school eventually, and I really want this last attempt to be worth it and i get the big "congrats"!! have improved on my tests, the 1 I was below failing on all of them, the 2 i passed 2...so im getting there but not quite. I have been slowly studying because I am scared of failing again because i don't see myself in any other field but medical

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.