Saskatchewan "Old School" practitioners forced to upgrade or DIE!

Arctickat

thats exactly what I was thinking Chris.

The old school intermediates that took the I-99 update and have many years/decades of practice , now have to "relearn" so we can have less ability and procedures have been removed from the scope of practice.

All of this in order to meet a commonality across the country.

As a 99 you have to transition to paramedic. You will not end up having less ability assuming you transition.

I'm assuming if there are additional pain meds it would be morphine, as that's all paramedics have for pain control (we have fentanyl but we cannot use it for pain)

I still don't see why they can't do the same training for iv starts as they did for cpap or king airways

Edited by Quakefire

IV starts aren't the only updates. The PCP program here was already behind the old NOCP curve, now with the 2011 NOCPs they have more catch up to complete because the College has decided to bring us in line with them. Even the CCP designation.

The only information I have is that which is contained in the survey I posted at the start of the thread. That alone contains sufficient information to require a significant, (2 weekend at least) time frame to bridge up.

• 1 year later...

How are your PCP upgrades going Kat?

Also, I heard the next step may be to align Sk ACPs with the NOCPs as well, which means a few more meds in our drug kit like Magnesium, Calcium Gluconate and possibly a beta-blocker for cases of A-fib with rvr. Not sure how reliable that is, but it would be nice to have a few more treatment options.

As far as I know there will be no more additions to the ACP scope of practice, all treatment protocols are now being handled by the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics, the big switch being the change to classification based medications instead of specific meds. So the protocols no longer read Ventolin, it says bronchodilator. It is now up to the individual service and medical director to provide research and evidence based medicine for that services drug choices and doses. This must be kept on file in the event the college audits a patients care.

• 2 weeks later...

I have actually talked to someone from the College in the last week regarding the ACP scope of practice. He stated that once the PCP scope is brought inline with national standards the ACP scope would be next....I'm assuming this would mean Magnesium, Calcium, Surgical airways and NG tube insertion just to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.