AEMT class schedule

So, our first AEMT class is coming to a close. One thing is for sure, we needed more time. I am curious what the other sceduals and hours my fellow instructors have seen out there for the new AEMT course, to see if there is anything we havent thought of.

This last class we did every WED/FRI for 8 hour days. We came in just over 200 hours over the summer.

Steve

The course I taught last semester was about 216 hours and I slipped in a few more didactic and clinical vignettes for a total of about 250 hours. As I have stated on other threads, I have a plan in motion. My institution is starting to take steps to change. The most recent is using changes in financial aide and certificate credit requirements. My programme director is adding anatomy and physiology as a requirement for an EMT college certificate and a math class and an English composition class for intermediate/AEMT college certification. Of course, people can still become credentialed with just a course completion certificate, but the hope is that this first step will galvanise people into generalised changes. Baby steps...

• Like 4

That is pretty darn close to what we are doing, and I am pretty unsatisfied with..well... ,myself. Perhaps I am being too hard, but I am looking to squeeze about 250 hours in to cover the material at a more reasonable pace. .

You bring up a good point, I am curious if requiring Med Math and/or anatomy physiology prior to class would free up some of our didactic time.

Hmmm

Edited by croaker260

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently a student at a local Community College. Our AEMT class is structured like a medic program is, and cannot easily be finished in a single semester. We need IV for the EMT (with clinical), AEMT Fundamentals, Pharm for the AEMT, Medical Emergencies, Trauma Emergencies and Special Considerations. Each class is 2 credits. Once these are complete, an Internship must be completed. Each course has its own exams, and finals. An 80% or better is required on all tests. Keeps us students feeling a need to study. You can't just float through without actively being involved in learning.

Edited by dandanthemedicineman