Cadaver, Anatomy, and Procedure Lab for EMS December 5 and 6, 2012

Doczilla

AS one who has attended, I also agree that if you have the opportunity to attend, this is completely the best hands on lab you will get.

where else will you get to see (if you are one of the first in the airway station) the docs initiate a tension pneumo and see the trachea deviate and then, when you decompress the chest with your needle, you see the trachea move back midline. I alas was not one of the first but the discussion of this visual was pretty cool.

And Anthony, if you win the airway gauntlet this year I'm gonna cry "Rigged"

I'm definitely up for this again ! Great learning experience and excellent to practice those skills we don't get to play with very often. Well worth the money !

I watched a friend, and City member do a field amputation under the eye of an Afganistan experienced Doc...if you can find that elsewhere...well, I'd still go to this one, but good on you.

I/Os in every location as often as you want, brain discections, scenarios where you're truly tested and then mentored by a medical school doc, and you even get to see our very own City doc surrounded by amazingly beautiful ladies yet looking like he's not slept in a month...C'mon, just seeing him suffer has got to be worth the cost of admission?

Truly, I've never, ever, in a paramedic environment been treated with such respect, and had such clear and vital goals laid out in front of me...I'd gladly pay $400 for this next time I'm available to go....no bullshit...

If you can go, you should go. It truly is as simple as that. $40? Are you friggin' kidding me? I put my hands on, intubated, placed I/Os, and discected a ton of cadavers. This Lab is a gift.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Truly, I've never, ever, in a paramedic environment been treated with such respect, and had such clear and vital goals laid out in front of me...

There are so many good things that can be said about CAP lab and that those of us who have been will keep repeating. I think that this point is one of the biggest things that makes CAP lab such a great learning experience though. The doctors there really are interested in teaching paramedics and have respect for what we do. Despite their incredible knowledge and experience, they still somehow manage to teach in a way that is not at all condescending. Rarely do we ever have learning opportunities in EMS where we can get such an amazing learning experience, especially without egos getting in the way.

• Like 1

Man, I wondered if I should say that... lol...

*Sighs*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

Yep, I'll agree doc looks like he hasn't slept in a long time, but hey, I was pretty bedraggled myself coming in off duty and not near enough sleep. I definitely will be coming again this year, it's an awesome refresher and was well worth the money. As others have said, you just can't get this experience for so cheap anywhere else. Love the stations ran by the residents with all the individual systems where you can just pick their brains to your heart's content. The year I went the pedi station was great, but can someone PLEASE convince the weather to cooperate so we don't freeze our ever living butts off ? I'm not a fan of 12 degrees ! Too cold ! Otherwise, it's fabulous - so who's on the I'm coming list this year ? Call out !

Yeah, the weather hates the CAP Lab. It can be sunny and 60 degrees the week before or after, but not during. We've endured all kinds of weather for this: snow, sheet ice, howling wind with freezing cold. We talked this year about moving it to a different time of year, but honestly, the local EMS community has come to expect it in November/December. I'm sure that it is doing nothing to improve tourism for the Dayton area, which is actually quite beautiful and sports more park space than any other city its size.

I don't know DocZ, the year that Anthony and I went and Anthony won the airway gauntlet, the weather was cold but not terrible. Are you sure that it's been bad every year.