Been away from the game

jbro88

Hi, I have been an EMT for about 2 years now, but have not gotten a job with which to use my knowledge/skills during that time. I' am moving to Portland very soon, and plan on applying with a few companies in and around that area. But here is my question: will I be hired, or even interviewed if I have no experience? I have been out of the game for a while, and before heading out to the field, I would like to refresh myself, or practice, before my first day. Will an ambulance company...be ok with this? I believe I could be a valuable asset, but could use some (extra) training before working. Should I get into an EMT refresher course, and then apply? Or, apply, and mention my concerns with the company/agency? I'm a little lost. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, I have been an EMT for about 2 years now, but have not gotten a job with which to use my knowledge/skills during that time. I' am moving to Portland very soon, and plan on applying with a few companies in and around that area. But here is my question: will I be hired, or even interviewed if I have no experience? I have been out of the game for a while, and before heading out to the field, I would like to refresh myself, or practice, before my first day. Will an ambulance company...be ok with this? I believe I could be a valuable asset, but could use some (extra) training before working. Should I get into an EMT refresher course, and then apply? Or, apply, and mention my concerns with the company/agency? I'm a little lost. Thanks!

I don't know what your looking for here. None of us can answer these questions without knowing the future.

I suggest taking an online refresher, instead of "expressing your concerns" to an employer (AKA, telling them you're incompetent).

As an interviewer,I would be asking you what you have been doing to keep up your skills.

Is there anything you have done at all where you used your skills?

The online refresher suggestion sounds great, hope you give it some thought.

My apologies jbro, I should have also welcomed you to these boards, there are a lot of great people here.

Edited by djdudley

I mean this in no way mean spirited, but I wouldn't likely hire you if you explained the above to me.

EMS is kind of a sport for leaders, and from what you describe you want to be allowed to be a follower, taken by the hand and led to the place that you want to go.

It's not going to work like that Brother. There are 8 million other EMTs looking for that same job, and they want to attack it, get involved, and be given responsibility. There is little hope for someone looking for the opposite to be 'helped' to become competent.

You may get hired without experience, but there's very little chance that you will get hired while being timid. You need to get confident, whatever that takes for you, get much more aggressive, or possibly consider that EMS isn't really your deal.

Again, all comments meant in the spirit of friendship....Welcome!

Dwayne

Thanks for the replies. They are indeed helpful. I got involved with a small-town fire department, where they have twice per month EMT skill refreshers or lectures. I also took a refresher course upon hiring with the department. Timid isn't the word, I don't think. Humility, perhaps, or respect, for what is required in the field. I am comfortable and confident, but I am also the person that needs to do something repeatedly or often to feel prepared fully. The amount of EMS calls (or fire) for my department are few and far between. I want to be thrown into the fray, as I feel that is the only way to learn. My plan of action is to do several ride-alongs (to get my hands dirty) with the company with whom I plan on applying. This is something I want to be doing.

Do you have a job in portland lined up that isn't EMS related that will pay your bills or are you just moving there to see if you can get a job?

What's your plan when you get there other than to look for a job?

My advice is to find a local refresher course and take it there. You will get ZERO hands on experience in an online refresher course. ZERO. Online has it's place but if you have no hands on experience then a online course will add to your experience 100% of Zero.

But there is hope for you grasshopper, contact one of the community colleges (I've done the footwork for you) http://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/EMSTraumaSystems/EMSTrainingCertification/Pages/school.aspx you can find the schools on this page by clicking one of the links here. ( I only do this because I'm bored and tired of studying my Project management stuff right now and need a break). But now that I re-read your most recent post I see you are already in a refresher course. so the above link might not be needed.

Get with one of those schools, ask them about refreshers and get in a hands on class.

You can then go to this page and contact the local EMS agencies and see if you can get a ride along but don't expect to be able to perform many skills because well, you will just be a rider and not a licensed Oregon provider so you won't get any help there.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/EMSTraumaSystems/AmbulanceServiceLicensing/Pages/amb_cnty.aspx

And are you a Oregon provider? IF so you might be able to do skills but since you don't work for the agency you are doing the ride with they probably will be reluctant to let you do skills, I know I would be reluctant to allow someone I didn't know and that didn't work at my service who was doing ride alongs do any skills. But that's just me.

That above link gives you all the EMS services or a breakdown of ambulance services county by county. Find the county you want and click on it and there's a list. You might get lucky and find a service that will let you do skills but don't get your hopes up.

Good luck JBro. Hope this helps. Of course it will only help if you decide to use the info provided.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.