Minimum age...

chappy

When I was in EMS the first time, back in the late '80s - early '90s, I was 18 and on fire. I thought I was "IT." I knew everything, I knew I was all grown up, I knew I was mature, etc. In other words, I had the typical thought process for a young adult. Now, with more than twenty years of life-experience, I have somewhat of a different view of things. I see now that I was not on fire like I thought. I wasn't the uber-mature, end-all, gift to paramedicine (or the world) that I thought I was.

Granted, in a lot of ways, paramedicine is a young person's sport. But is there some room to consider the idea of requiring paramedics to be at least 21? If you think about it, we have 19 year old medics who can push narcotics, but cannot purchase liquor!

I know the debate about degree medics is also raging, but should there be a requirement to work at a certain level for some time before advancing? That would build in a waiting and maturing period.

• Like 1

The idea of an ALS Paramedic being 18 or 19 is very deeply concerning to me

In AU, NZ and UK up until very recently all Ambulance Officers were trained through a vocational on the job program which took three to four years to complete and the Ambulance Service really only looked at people who were in their late 20s at the youngest who had gotten life exp etc. They rightly believed that those who are older with some work and life exp etc made better AOs and it is very true.

In NZ you must do a 3 year Bachelor of Health Science to enter the Ambulance Service now and you need your full license for minimum of 3 years so the minimum age is really 21-22 then you go through an internship process so the youngest Intensive Care Paramedic I know is about 26 but many are older even those with the Degree because you must have several years as a Paramedic before applying for selection into the ICP course.

So yes, I do not think it's a bad idea at all

In Canada an 18 year old Paramedic is also unheard of. A prerequisite for Advanced Paramedic training is the Primary Paramedic course which could range anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on the province. One must be 18 before being considered for acceptance. Following the PCP training the candidate must apply for the ACP training. There used to be a requirement for 2 years of field work before an application would be considered, but that has since been waived because the waiting list was so long that it took two years to get accepted into a class anyways. Regardless, the ACP training is anywhere from one to two years.

Essentially, before an ACP candidate can even work on the streets he has at least 2 years of school under his belt and typically more.

If ALS requires at least a high school Dipoma as a prerequisite then it would be a practical improbability that anyone under the age of 21 would be running ALS.

I think chappy was most likely making reference to being an EMT. We allow students to enroll so long as they turn 18 before they complete the EMT studies.

Edited by DFIB

I don't know dfib, I know several 16 year old emt's who could feasibly start their medic classes at 16 as well, then test out for medic at 18 and be on the road as a medic at 18. It could be done.

I don't know dfib, I know several 16 year old emt's who could feasibly start their medic classes at 16 as well, then test out for medic at 18 and be on the road as a medic at 18. It could be done.

I had no idea that a 16 year old could legally ride an ambulance. If they can start that young then they could easily be a medic even before they could buy beer.

He could ride but not drive

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

This was also many many years ago. when I was first starting out in medic school. I believe the rules have since been amended.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Here , you must be 18 in order to test for a Basic license. You can then go on to take the Paramedicine course which is at least 18 months for trade school & 2 years for an associates degree collage program.

Most insurance companies have rules from the risk management department that require a minimum of 21 in order to drive, with some insurers requiring 25 yrs old.

So in theory you could have 20 year old Medics that can't drive an emergency vehicle.

I think chappy was most likely making reference to being an EMT. We allow students to enroll so long as they turn 18 before they complete the EMT studies.

Is pushing narcotics a basic skill where you're from DFIB?

If you think about it, we have 19 year old medics who can push narcotics, but cannot purchase liquor!

Edited by Arctickat

Is pushing narcotics a basic skill where you're from DFIB?

Pushing narcotics is not a basic skill for us. Why do you ask?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.