Med Math test?

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had a huge bank of medical math problems (i.e. drip rates, boluses, etc) they could foward me.

My AEMT students really struggled with my last test which included some med math. Going to give them a series of take home exercises to remediate on simple medical math, but I dont like the ones that came with the text.

Was trying to avoid having to sit down and write out a hundred question med math test if someone else already has one. Like everyone, life is busy and I hate to reinvent a test if I dont have too.

Any other instructors want to share some of their work? Will be happy to exchange the favor.

Steve

Edited by croaker260

Hey send me a pm with your email address.... I will dig through my stuff - I am positive I have some med math review assignments...

I sent you my email, let me know if you didnt get it...

• 4 weeks later...

OK for those who are randomly interested, here is aone of the daily little med math quizes for your pirating pleasure.

1. The Protocol Orders you to administer up to 324 mg ASA PO, but your patient already took 81 mg ASA PO just before your arrival. You have 81 mg tablets on hand in your kit. How much ASA do you administer?

SCENARIO #1: Your patient is a 8 y/o little girl who is in hypovolemic shock from severe diarrhea and vomiting. She weighs 70 pounds. If you recall your protocol is for shock is to give up to THREE boluses of 20 cc/kg NaCl for pediatric shock patients, then adjust your flow rate to 150 cc/hour afterward.

2. How Many KG does this child weigh?

3. How much fluid are you going to administer for each bolus?

4. Assuming you have a 15 gtt set, how many drops a minute is will you un your IV line to achieve a 150 cc/hour drip rate?

Scenario #2: You have a 10 year old diabetic who is hypoglycemic. She is approximately 100 pounds. You need to give her some dextrose. Your protocol calls for you to administer 0.5 gm/kg of D2W. You don't have any D25W on hand though. You do have on hand D50W, 25 grams in 50 cc.

5. How many KG is this patient?

6. How many grams per each cc do you have in this amp of D50?

7. Knowing you have to administer D25, and recalling from the pediatric lectures you have to dilute D50 in half to get D25, what would your final concentration (grams per cc) be when you do this?

8. Finally, how much Dextrose will you administer, and the cc of volume you will give to get that dose?

Scenario #3-A: You have an adult patient who has overdosed on a new illicit opioid called "Death by Math", or "DbM" for short.

9. Since you are super smart, you recall that the antidote for DbM is likely what drug?

10. The antidote in question comes in 2 mg in 5 cc. How many mg/cc is this?

11. You also have special orders to administer 0.1 mg of this drug every 2-3 minutes until the patient starts breathing again. How much cc do you give to administer 0.1 mg?

Scenario #3-B: Just as you are packaging this patient up, the police officer runs up screaming. It appears that your fine, upstanding citizen of a patient allowed their three year old daughter to get into the stash of DbM. After you decide kicking the patient is not the appropriate thing to do, you attend to your new patient. She is three years old and weighs a
weee
little 30 pounds . Since you have a bucket load of the antidote on hand, your well prepared.

12. What is the weight in KG for this patient?

13. You recall your pediatric dose for this antidote is 0.01 mg/kg. How much do you give?

14. All of your amps come in 2 mg/5 cc. How much volume (cc) do you need to give to get that dose?

Scenario #3-C: Despite your administration of the antidote, and appropriate airway management, your three year old patient/30 pound patient continues to be hypotensive, mottled, cyanotic. You realize she is still in a shock state. The doctor orders THREE boluses of 20 cc/kg NaCl for pediatric shock patients, then adjust your flow rate to 200 cc/hour afterward.

15. How much fluid are you going to administer for each bolus?

16. Today you have a 10 gtt set, how many drops a minute is will you un your IV line to achieve a 200 cc/hour drip rate.

Scenario #4: So, We say that in a fit of anger over the medical math, you lynch your instructor (me) , set me on fire, and leave me for the crows. ONE of you..honestly I cant imagine which one.... has a weee little bit of remorse and uses the fire extinguisher to put me out. Unfortunately I have suffered 70% BSA burns. I weigh 200 pounds.

17. How Many KG do I weigh?

18. How much fluids are you going to give me over the 1st eight hours?

19. Assuming you have a 15 drop set, what is your gtt/minute for the first 8 hours?

20. How much fluid are you going to give me over the last 16 hours?

21. Assuming you have a 15 drop set, what is your gtt/minute for the Last 16 hours?