Starting school in Sept at 41 !

brianamato

What kind of school are you starting? EMT? Paramedic? Nursing?...

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

I celebrated my 50th birthday in my final semester at medic school by catching a baby. (it was a girl). It is a difficult job, especially if you focus on the BS. If you are in it for the right reasons it can be extraordinarily fulfilling. It's a good alternative to the Walmart greeter position, but with a lot less sleep.

Congratulations, on your decision to return to school, being a part of EMS is being part of a special society. Once you begin it becomes a significant part of your life.

I have been in EMS for 18 years, the last 11 as a medic. I am at a crossroads, finally want to continue on in my education. Don't know where to go next. Nursing....still doesn't thrill me, would like to stay in EMS. Would like to progress with the branching out EMS seems to be pursuing with Community/Preventative Paramedicine. I have no degree, but tons of credits all over the place. Yet, somehow I am determined not to give up.

Keep us all up to date on your progress.

Brian

Did you say Student at 41, hell you have a lot of time to do more learning.

Glad to hear you are starting school, I became an EMT-B at 60 wish I started a lot earlier but there were things going on. Not complaining at all.

Just pay strict attention, listen, take a few notes and mostly practice, practice, practice!

Keep coming back to these boards and even throw questions over to here. There are some really experienced people that will answer questions or let you bounce ideas off them.

As Kim said above, Keep us up to date on your progress..

Starting as a First Responder or EMT-B at age 41? By some standards, as already commented on here, that's late. However, I do recall one friend and associate, became a NY State EMT at age 55, with my Volunteer Ambulance Corps. He worked for 8 or so years before he moved out of the community, and I lost touch with him (described himself as an EMT: ELDERLY Medical Technician).

I'm 58, medically retired (bad back and knees) from gainful employ as an EMT-B, with a NY State DoH cert that will expire in 2015, but am taking CME (Continuing Medical Education) classes like crazy. Some of us end up becoming almost professional students (whoda thunk it, back when I was in Jr High School, that I would go THAT route?), or become instructors.

Good Luck, brianamato!

I honestly wish more of my classmates were older when they started paramedic school. It would have added a much needed level of maturity to the class. Head up and don't let the young pups get you down.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.