Getting back in EMS....in South Carolina! :)

Michael_1973

Hello fellow EMS'ers....a little history on my "Stroy." I was a NREMT in Kentucky over 12 years ago prior to getting back in to the Marine Corps. I am currently back in EMT class, and really wishing I would have gotten back in to, or stayed in the EMS field long ago. I have done a lot of research, and "soul searching" over the last few years, and regardless of the hours/ lack of pay, can not think of myself doing anything else. I guess I am at that point in my life that I would rather be happy with what I am doing, then to have a big fat bank account or house. Anyway, I stumbled across this site a day or so ago, and look forward to utilizing it for additional social and EMS experience in my future. Before I load my 1st post, I will ask a few questions. Thank you in advance for anyone that cares to respond.

1. I know here in SC, they recently doubled the curiculm and cost for EMT-B, is this a National thing? I see pro's and con's to this. Fortunately I was able to have the miltary pick up the 1400 dollar tab for class...and 2 nights a week, for nearly 6 monhts is a bit of a long period to be tied down, however I see this as potentially helping the system in the long run, Is this just a SC thing?

2. My plan is to go on to Paramedic next year...or as soon as possible and my Marine Corps schedule will allow...is employment drastically enhanced upon getting Paramedic credentials. (Obviously I realize the more credentials, the better the chance, but coming from those that are out there in the System already, or in your own personal lives have you ever seen a Paramedic struggle finding work?) Even if it meant relocation or a pay cut?

3. Fianlly if anyone could share there opinion of the Pro's and Con's. I have seen some of the post in regards to Nursing VS/ Parmedic, I know the money is better...in most instances a Nurse can probably guarantee better work enviroment...however, I feel there are certain aspects of the EMS field that are not replaceable, and would enjoy hearing opions from those that are still living in the "passion of the profession."

Until next time....Michael

Hello and welcome!

Regarding number one; it's not just a South Carolina thing. Each program requires a deifferent amount of class time/ridealong time/clinical time. The class I took in Indiana last year was minimum 182 class hours, 10 hospital, 10 in an FD medic rig. Most of us ended up doing at least 30 in the ER and on the rig though. In total the class came to just under 6 months I will say that your class is pricier than mine was but that can vary a lot so I dunno if that's really irregular. From what I've heard, some companies around here run their own schools which are cheaper, significantly shorter and don't offer anywhere near the scenario and skills time of a longer class. Apparently the largest company in our area runs a school that teaches their basics to start IVs and push narcan into head injury patients. That was mean, sorry. Anyway, the classes run by responsible organizations tend to be in the 140-200 hour range. You can be taught to pass the basic test in probably half that if they use rote memorization but you won't really have time for class discussions or many scenarios. Given your classes length I would assume an hour or two of scenarios every night. Fun fun fun!! Good luck and take care:)

Regarding 2 and 3 I cede the floor to folks who can answer them better than I as I won't be starting medic class til this fall.

I'm also in SC, but work in NC. Where I live it's prodominatly fire-based and my opinion of those services is well documented.

If you're planning on getting your Paramedic degree, I would advise going the Nursing route. The transition to medic from RN is much easier than the other way around. You make more money of course, and once you obtain your medic, you can dabble in EMS if you desire. I wish I had gone the Nursing route first, but hindsight is 20/20. The decision of course is yours. I'm just offering my opinion.

Most of the services around here hire medics and train you to be a FF since it requires less education, therefore less time. There is one that wants to be a FF and a medic. There are numerous transfer services that hire basics. I don't about your area.

Regardless, kudos on going for your medic as soon as you can! Oh, and thank you for your service!

Edited by JakeEMTP

Speaking as someone who's been an EMT for 6, going on 7 years now, and who is currently in nursing school... I am still looking to get my paramedic after I get my BSN. I can't speak to your particular geographical area, but if the passion is there, half of the experience in the workplace is what you bring to the job... you can't fix stupid people around you, but you can kick ass and take satisfaction from doing so...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.