I'm not a Paramedic/EMT but I do have medical training. My Trauma Bag has almost everything you could ever need from the basic injuries to life support. Some stuff I carry is: stethoscope, BP cuff, gauze and QuikClot, non-adhering pads, SAM splint, C-collar, nitrile gloves, EMS knife and flashlight, small scissors, EMT shears, tensor bandage, 3 rolls of different types of tape, adhesive bandages, isopropyl wipes, BZK chloride wipes, providone-iodine, cold packs, CPR face mask, notebook with pen, EMS vital statistics notebook, triangular bandages, CAT tourniquet, penlight, pressure bandages 4x4 and 2x2, 2nd skin moist burn pads, polysporin, combine ABD pads, confirming bandages, oral glucose gel, survival blanket, moleskin and some basic medications. (I didn't mention everything just majority)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There You go folks:::

Proof that It's not just New Jersey that has a supply of whackers :fish:

As a 16 yo you should be doing your home work and growing up instead of playing on the computer with pipe dreams.

Edited by island emt

Sorry if I did something wrong? Cause your confusing me. I thought people in the EMS community would be happy that someone is contributing to the EMS chain of survival. Without me your patient might die. It could take up to 20 minutes for an ambulance to arrive to a scene and during those 20 minutes who's gonna be helping that person? Me. I don't know why that's such a problem.

Sorry if I did something wrong? Cause your confusing me. I thought people in the EMS community would be happy that someone is contributing to the EMS chain of survival. Without me your patient might die. It could take up to 20 minutes for an ambulance to arrive to a scene and during those 20 minutes who's gonna be helping that person? Me. I don't know why that's such a problem.

My friend, you're suffering from what's known in the industry as delusions of grandeur. What, exactly, do you think you're going to do to save someone prior to EMS arrival? How, exactly, are you contributing to the "EMS chain of survivial"?

You're rapidly approaching what is commonly referred to as a whacker. That is not an affectionate term.

Your enthusiasm is admirable. Your understanding is, well, about where it should be for a 16 year old. Unfortunately, that level of understanding is insufficient for a lot of things as it pertains to EMS and medicine in general. If EMS is really something you're interested in then by all means continue your studies, which includes taking all those courses you don't want to take, and learning as much as you can. Some of that learning can come from here. Some of that learning will not be easy. Just because it's not easy or it's not a lesson you wanted to learn doesn't make it wrong.

With that being said, some of what you may read here may not be what you want to hear. That doesn't make any of it wrong. Nor is any of it a personal attack. Nobody here knows you. You don't know anybody here. So please don't get bent out of shape if responses you're getting don't stroke your ego.

Please strongly consider this quote from Winston Churchill, "Personally, I am always ready to learn, although, I do not always like being taught."

"Early access, early CPR, early defribillation and early ALS". I understand, I'm 16 I guess I appear like a whack job cause I have a medical bag that carries more then your average pharmacy, that's because I want to help and I can help. As for the chain of survival thing, it's unlikely that EMS can provide early CPR, early CPR is gonna be done by your passer by, that's me. Nothing I carry in there is illegal or out of my scope of practice as I do have medical training. And your right, no one here does know me so with all due respect I don't care if you a think I'm a whack job cause I just want to be ready to help people just in case. That's it.

The only thing you might realistically be able to provide is early CPR. You only need your hands for that. Although, that's something that just about anyone can do especially if they've had CPR training or are in touch with a 911 operator.

Are you really carrying around an AED?

You can be as ready as you want to help people. Unfortunately, how you're presenting yourself so far is not going to be taken very well by either the people you're trying to help or the responders you're trying to replace.

No of course I don't. But in most large cities in Canada they have AEDs in malls, schools etc. And I don't think people who are severely injured are gonna care if I have medic equipment, in fact they'd probably be happy about that.

And I'm not trying to replace EMTs or Paramedics. But what you seem to be saying is that if I walk past someone who's bleeding from his femoral artery I should just leave him be and wait for an ambulance.

I'm done arguing. We've both said what we feel and while I respect what your saying I don't agree.

Change your attitude right now or you'll go down the path to becoming what the industry refers to as a 'paragod.' Inflated ego and self importance are a dangerous thing in this industry which Paramedicmike is trying to point out.

Its great to be prepared, but its also wise to understand your limitations, especially as a first responder. I was told once that only around 2% of calls the ambulance responds to are true life threatening emergencies where immediate intervention by the providers would make the difference between life or death (early cpr included).

The industry is evolving to more community oriented focus, so if you want to get into the industry for the 2% of true emergency calls, you won't last.

Your passion is much appreciated, but maybe just a bit misdirected that's all!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.