Flesh Eating Virus

mikeymedic1984

I wear gloves if I plan on touching something wet that isn't my own. Skin to skin contact I'm not worried about (generally). And I wash and/or sanitize my hands between patients.

As far as catching shit from patients, I'm conscious of the risks but I don't tend to worry about it. Keep yourself safe and the risks are lowered as much as they reasonably can be. I'd hate to catch something serious, TB, meningitis, etc, but I know that the risks are low and fretting over all the possibilities is a shitty way to live.

Edited by Bieber

We see hep a fair amount, especially on Dialysis days, usually coupled with MRSA. A couple facilities in our area it seems like every other patient has MRSA :/. I've yet to run into a TB case but I've only been doing this a few months. Typically we stick with the regular glove routine and wipe every inch of the stretcher down with our super wipes once we get the patient to the hospital. We keep the full masks and gowns on the rig but I haven't used them yet personally.

A buddy of mine sent me this article the other day. I can't vouch for it's veracity given the site but I did find it pretty interesting. http://www.cracked.c...e-are-real.html

Edited by BillKaneEMT

• 2 weeks later...

I see Nec Fasc all of the time since my hospital has a Burn Center and Hyperbarics. Our Hyperbarics didnt get moved over when they moved the hospital 30 some years ago, so we have always had to drive patients 2 blocks to our HBO chamber, but come tomorrow, New HBO chamber on campus! Woot Woot!

I have seen some very interesting manifestations of it in 5 years of working there, from simple feet, to significantly revised facial structures due to its incursion.

I wear Gloves and apply copious amounts of bath blankets so I don't have to see or smell it.

Very true. I have had a positive TB skin test since I was 6, I don't know if it was because of the BCG or airborne exposure. After 39 years thank goodness the yearly CXR's are still negative. I have known and had contact with TB patients my entire life.

Just as an aside, you can now get IGRA tests, that can differentiate between patients vaccinated with BCG, and those with latent TB infection. I think they're fairly sensitive/specific, but they throw a lot of "indeterminate" readings, in which case they're not so helpful.

I'm not sure what the healthcare is like in your neck of the woods, but it might be worth looking into.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.