A sheet and a swaddler will work; so will the warming pouches that are available for EMS. I'd caution about getting them too warm, as they cannot exactly say, dude - I'm hot!

A sheet and a swaddler will work; so will the warming pouches that are available for EMS. I'd caution about getting them too warm, as they cannot exactly say, dude - I'm hot!

Granted, but bear in mind they've been maintaining thermoneutrality at an ambient temperature of 37C while bathed in liquid for the last nine months. So, while I'm sure it's possible, there's much more risk of making them too cold.

Go to your local OBGYN/nursery and get some skull caps, the head is where most heat is lost, and it is the most likely part to be left exposed. If they do not have any, go to the ER and get the cloth sheeth the put around a fractured extremity prior to casting, twist/tie on end into a little pig-tail.

There's a pretty good link here discussing neonatal heat regulation:

http://www.neonatal-nursing.co.uk/pdf/inf_015_nor.pdf

Also worth nothing re: heat packs, a case report of a 5% BSA 3rd degree burn caused by a chemical heat pack (54C) applied to a neonate:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Brun%20C.%2C%20Stokvad%20P.%2C%20Alsbjorn%20B.F.%20Burn%20wounds%20after%20resuscitation%20of%20a%20newborn%20girl.%20Ugestrift%20for%20Laeger%201997%3B%20159%3A%206531-32

(Unfortunately in Danish).

bubble wrap, seriously, its awesome for keeping them warm, skull cap, bubble wrap and then a blanket

josh you muppet just use bloody glad wrap

bubble wrap is way better, as they bounce higher when dropped.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.