Your post was kind of confusing, but I'm guessing you were asking how we keep infants warm? We pretty much just use blankets, though I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of putting some warm IV bags around it as well.

• Like 1

That is what I am guessing too Bieber. Same way over here. We use baby blankets and just as important is the head cover for the baby. Set the temp high in the back of your rig and prepare to sweat!! Infants cannot regulate their bodies temps yet so it's up to us to keep them warm.

Warm IV bags I am sure could work but I think that wrapping up the baby, covering its head, turning on the heat and let Mommy hold the baby to her chest is the best course of action.

If Mom has planned on breastfeeding I say let her! Skin to skin contact is great for body heat transfer and it will also help with any vaginal bleeding that may still be occuring to Mom. Put the blanket over baby and Mom for a little privact and you have killed several birds with one stone.

• Like 1

A large ziplock bag with an opening for the head works quite well. After you dry and stimulate, ditch the wet towels for a dry set. Cover the head.

How are you using the bag? I'm not seeing it...unless it's a really, really huge bag?

(Edit: My response assumed the terms 'infant' and 'baby' to mean any sick child. I was a little slow on the uptake when translating to 'newborn.' But my questions still stands.)

I like mom the best too. Of course we're about to start a massive flame war about inappropriately restrained mothers and infants.

It seems to me that mom not only to gives you a self regulating heat source but an emotional buffer as well, which can, again in my experience, make a huge difference on all of the respiratory distress calls that these youngsters seem to generate, as well as any call that can be positively influenced by trying to emotionally, instead of chemically, manage rates and pressures. (I have nothing but my anecdotal evidence to back my claims.)

Since the question was quite nebulous and Ill defined, I went with the assumption the we are talking about a newborn requiring interventions beyond dry, suction and stimulate. This technique is no different than placing wounded soldiers in body bag type devices to assist with thermoregulation. Have you taken a neonatal resuscitation course (NRP)? It's discussed and even shown on real patients. It is slightly non-intuitive at first. Of course mom is a good option if you have a healthy newborn that does not require any aggressiveinterventions which is typically the case.

Edited by chbare

I should probably say that my post above was an attempt at humor. I can just see some genius coming on here, looking for medical advice and doing as I said thinking I was being serious and then suing us because they were stupid enough to do it. I do not recommend placing any infants in a microwave nor do I recommend eating them with ketchup.

barbecue sauce is better! :punk:

Our newborn / OB kit has a cotton blanket and space blanket to wrap them in ,

Placing them on mom's chest and covering both is excellent as long as neither require more interventions from us.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.