British Citizen with American EMT-B cert visiting Australia!

Xina

Hey guys,

I gained my EMT-B license in America a couple of years back but I have now been in England for a couple of years and I am planning on spending a year or 2 in Australia.

I know that one company recognized American certs but I am wondering if this is a nation-wide?

I will probably have to update my certs so if you guys have any info on offer to aide in my quest for working in EMS all around the world. please let me know!

Thanks!

Xina

Depends on what you want to do Christina

If you want to join a emergency service or gain a position in a company that just does mine site, sporting events etc

an EMT basic (US) doesn't really cut the mustard in my neck of the woods when it comes to basic level of training to carry out the job (see previous posts)

you may need to do some research on what you would like to do when you get to Oz.

Cheers

I have found just by reading the posts here that even though we in America think that our educational standards are pretty high, our EMT or even Medic wouldn't even really get us in the door in another country to go to work.

I'd be interested to really get a good cross comparison as to what our EMT-P training would be comparible to in each of these countries.

UK

France

Australia

New Zealand

Canada

Germany

Ireland

Etc

I know that it would be a stretch to get this done but this would be a pretty good project for someone who had the time to do. This way it could be something that those here who wanted to maybe go and work in another country could at least have an idea as to what they were going to need to do educational wise in order to pass the muster in another country in order to work.

Anyone feel like taking this on?

One other additional piece to this would be the remote medic qualifications piece as well. As some of the medics here might want to eventually pursue that career path as well. AK or Dwayne could contribute to this section.

Edited by Captain Kickass

UK - EMTP can apply for State Registered Paramedic with HPC via the "International" route; long and expensive and no help with work visa

France - SMUR (Service Mobile d'Urgence et Reanimation) Doctor led service; no civilian Paramedics

Australia - EMTP can apply for recognition with applicable service; somewhat complex as each person is individually reviewed based on education, experience etc; most likely given recognition at Paramedic level after a mentor period then moved up to ICP; may have to do the ICP course again. Generally no help with work visa from NSW, QLD, SA etc

New Zealand - EMTP can apply for recognition; quite expensive and a "recommendation" only; ambulance service has discretion and each person treated individually re education/experience. Most likely given Technician level then mentored up to Paramedic then to Intensive Care Paramedic over 12 months. Help with work visa if selected but competition is extremely tough.

Canada - province dependant; no help with work visa

Germany - depends on the state and again, no help with an EU visa

Ireland - must apply for individual recognition with PHECC and again, no help with an EU visa

If you want to join a emergency service or gain a position in a company that just does mine site, sporting events etc

an EMT basic (US) doesn't really cut the mustard in my neck of the woods when it comes to basic level of training to carry out the job (see previous posts)

you may need to do some research on what you would like to do when you get to Oz.

Cheers

Not to completely thread-jack, but are there any of the on site medical companies that are easier to get in with than others when you're a foreigner? I certainly haven't had much luck! (though maybe my problem is that I'm only looking for work during breaks in the academic terms)

Not to completely thread-jack, but are there any of the on site medical companies that are easier to get in with than others when you're a foreigner? I certainly haven't had much luck! (though maybe my problem is that I'm only looking for work during breaks in the academic terms)

you will have to research them, most of them take people that have finished their uni degree and are not empolyed by a state service or are already paramedics that have been working for state services. Not sure if they will take people that have not finished their degree yet.

go thru google to find out more.

Cheers

Hi,

Firstly, just to clarify, my name is actually Xina. (Don't ask where my parents got this from!)

Also, it is interesting that Australia doesn't seem too impressed with the EMT-B certification considering I was nationally certified in advanced airway techniques. I pretty much was able to do everything but Intravenous drugs.

Does Australia not have a layered qualification system like the US?

From reading everyone's posts, and thank you so much for your time! I am assuming full paramedic qualifications would be an absolute necessity.

Since the UK have decided to turn this into a degree, I'd have to wait for 3 years to qualify plus years of experience on top.

What is the lowest qualification in over there?

you will have to research them, most of them take people that have finished their uni degree and are not empolyed by a state service or are already paramedics that have been working for state services. Not sure if they will take people that have not finished their degree yet.

go thru google to find out more.

Ah, that's a pain.

I don't know if I want to be a student again, I was just hoping Australia had a similar system to America, but it's seeming to be more like the UK!

I think you will find that OZ requires a degree to practice in most situations compared to the US with it's short term trade school requirements.

Granted we are slowly moving toward a minimum of 2 yr degree programs for Paramedicine, but it will take a long time to get everyone on line with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.