cpr temp card

tamaith

IF YOU ARE AN AHA instructor:

I would check your PAM (Program administration manual) and your CTC (training center) policies before you give out anything. I am 100% sure (as an AHA instructor myself) that there is no temp card, and 99% sure that you have a very specific time frame to get their card to them. We give them out at end of class, so it has never been an issue.

Assuming you don't personally know and trust these idgets..... if your "students" were the type to let their CPR card lapse when their job depended on it, I would be cautious giving them ANYTHING other than a card to begin with. Before you know it a photoshop version of that letter may "make the rounds" and you dont want anything to do with that.

COntact your TC for options, not here. They are the final say on this.

Just my 0.02

• Like 3

IF YOU ARE AN AHA instructor:

I would check your PAM (Program administration manual) and your CTC (training center) policies before you give out anything. I am 100% sure (as an AHA instructor myself) that there is no temp card, and 99% sure that you have a very specific time frame to get their card to them. We give them out at end of class, so it has never been an issue.

Assuming you don't personally know and trust these idgets..... if your "students" were the type to let their CPR card lapse when their job depended on it, I would be cautious giving them ANYTHING other than a card to begin with. Before you know it a photoshop version of that letter may "make the rounds" and you dont want anything to do with that.

COntact your TC for options, not here. They are the final say on this.

Just my 0.02

AND If you are a student

Do not wait till the last minute to get into a cpr class. I did a search in my 4 county area and found no less than 30 AHA classes coming up in the next 30 days - so do the math. Of those classes, only 4 days are without classes out of those 30.

There is no excuse to not be able to find a cpr class that will fit into anyone's busy schedule.

If you let yours lapse and you have to lose a few shifts until you get your's renewed then it's NO-one's fault other than your OWN.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done temp cards in the past.... they were from the entity that I worked for...and a place holder until the "AHA/ARC" card came in. I am unable to keep stock cards in my business with the Training Satellite that I work with, so I never have the cards the "day of". Most people are ok with the wait, some aren't. I have also sent copies of the roster back with them. And because the Family & Friends course doesn't have an official card with an "expiration or recommended" renewal date on it, I used to do in house cards that were good only for our institution.

It's been done...nothing wrong with it as long as it stays "in house" or the "employer" knows that it's a placeholder.

AC

Oh, and before the AHA folks attack that comment in droves...I was an Regional Faculty Member for years..it's legit.... just can't have the logo on it, and can't say AHA on it. As I said, it was an in house card.

Edited by AnatomyChick

• 3 weeks later...

How about a simple form letter stating that <insert name> has taken and successfully passed a CPR course as administered by <agency>. An official card will be forthcoming. Please accept this note from the instructor <insert contact information here> as proof of having taken the course until an official card arrives.

This has been done by instructors with whom I've worked. To my knowledge, it has never posed a problem.

That is exactly what my CPR instructor did when my old one ran out and I needed it for EMT re-cert.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older post, but I am posting anyways.

Personally I prepare a simple form letter for any individual or services requiring proof of completion. I include all the contact information for myself and my Training Center just in case they have any questions about it.

I also find that if you include the AHA Logo on the form letter it makes everyone feel that it is "Official" and they don't tend to question it. You can just search the AHA website for the Media Packet and the Logos are included in the files.

In my area only the Training Centers can print the CPR cards so there is no chance that I can have them prepared ahead of time and hand them out at the end of the class.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

I have run into this situation several times, especially with AHA cards since we are a Training Site with them and out Training Center has to print the cards the next day.

Usually if I know ahead of time about their situation I have them do an ASHI CPR class instead of an AHA one, that way i can get them their card immediately after the class. ASHI now has the Digital Certification Cards that are starting to be more widely accepted now that the "online fraud" stigma is wearing off of it.

The digital version is great if the student looses their card, they can call me if they are an individual and with a couple clicks I can email them a replacement one immediately. If they are part of an organization that we service, their employer has a login on our online system that they can log into and check everyones expiration dates and print replacement cards from.

That is one of the advantages of being an instructor for multiple organizations instead of just AHA, but it also has a LOT of headaches that go along with it.

I can't believe EMT's still take CPR classes. We have to recertify every quarter under county protocol. But then again we don't do AHA CPR we do our own variant (no real difference on the BLS side other than at the AED). Got to love being in an AHA research area.

I would have thought that EMT's would recertify for CPR under their CBT's.

Our certification requirements are minimum 5 minutes of active CPR with 2 AED shocks and 98% effective compressions and respirations.

Canadian Heart and Stroke has just changed they're guidelines as far as certs are concerned. Effective January 1, Instructors will no longer be able to issue the paper cards. Instead the student will be issued a signed letter stating that the student has completed the Health Care Provider CPR course or renewal, with offical plastic cards coming in the mail shortly afterward.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a simple form letter stating that <insert name> has taken and successfully passed a CPR course as administered by <agency>. An official card will be forthcoming. Please accept this note from the instructor <insert contact information here> as proof of having taken the course until an official card arrives.

This has been done by instructors with whom I've worked. To my knowledge, it has never posed a problem.

We provide this type of document, only if requested for a specific purpose. Usually for nursing students that need it (HCP only) before going out to do clinicals. They're the main culprits.....and the requesting agency or whomever must be notified and will authorize an acceptance of the form letter.

We usually only provide a few of these. Less that 1% of the total thousands of people that go thru the HCP class.