FDNY Ride Along...

miscusi

Hi, any FDNY guys around?

I will be going for a ride along on BLS and ALS buses with the FDNY sometime in the near future.

I would like to know if there are anything I should know before going, perhaps some tips on what to look for, or tips for proper ride along etiquette.

I have a couple of uniform questions for you FDNY guys/girls.

Why do I never see FDNY EMS in cargo pants ? I think cargo pants are awesome.

Why dont the Shirt and Jackets match up ? The shirt has two shoulder patches and FDNY - EMT in the front, but the Jacket has just one shoulder patch, and instead of FDNY - EMT, it has the FDNY - Name.

What is the policy on collar brass ? I see it on some shirts, I dont see it on others, If I see it on shirts, I dont see it on jackets. I swear: one time I saw one collar brass on just one side of the jacket and nothing else.

The reason for my curiosity is that I am former military, and we took uniformity of our uniforms very seriously, even if it isnt the class A... the NYPD seems to have very good uniform continuity, and they have cargo pants.. smile.gif

thanks for your help guys, stay safe.

I never worked for FDNY nor NYCEMS but I did a ride along and have many friends who worked there. Some advice:

1. DO NOT wear any volley gear. It's prohibited and you will look like a tool to the regular guys.

2. Wear comfortable footwear, you will be climbing lots of stairs in certain areas.

3. Listen and seem interested.

4. You are there to be an observer, not a provider. Do not touch the patient unless told to do so. When I signed the waiver in the early 90's it explicitly said I was not to provide any care to any patients. That being said, I was asked to help on a bad trauma pt.

5. Keep your eyes and ears open. If you crew starts running out of a house/building, you should be doing the same.

• Like 1

Good advice from the Doc, especially # 5! Your safety is paramount, in all honesty, the crew isn't going to worry about you when the feces hits the fan. They will probably tell you to follow them, but ultimately it is up yo you to pick 'em up and put 'em down!

I'm not FDNY, but the advise given by ERDoc would work for just about every service I know!

Keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions when appropriate!

Have a good tour.

• Like 1

Wheres Richard? I believed he worked NYFD. He would know

• Like 1

Ah I see your academy training is complete. Welcome to the city!! If you decide to stay of course. I have not yet been accepted for FDNY. I hope in the near future they will call me. So I have absolutely no advice for you my friend. One of my friends must have been with you as he got the call to join couple of months back. I believe he was in the green team! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Hi, any FDNY guys around?

I will be going for a ride along on BLS and ALS buses with the FDNY sometime in the near future.

congrats

I would like to know if there are anything I should know before going, perhaps some tips on what to look for, or tips for proper ride along etiquette.

I have a couple of uniform questions for you FDNY guys/girls.

Why do I never see FDNY EMS in cargo pants ? I think cargo pants are awesome.

All uniform items are department issued/approved the pants you see them wear are the ones issued to them.

Why dont the Shirt and Jackets match up ? The shirt has two shoulder patches and FDNY - EMT in the front,

but the Jacket has just one shoulder patch, and instead of FDNY - EMT, it has the FDNY - Name.

there are more than one shirt type issued more specifics get you a more specific answer

What is the policy on collar brass ? I see it on some shirts, I dont see it on others, If I see it on shirts, I dont see it on jackets. I swear: one time I saw one collar brass on just one side of the jacket and nothing else.

I don't know the official policy but probably along the lines of acceptable but not required.

The reason for my curiosity is that I am former military, and we took uniformity of our uniforms very seriously, even if it isnt the class A... the NYPD seems to have very good uniform continuity, and they have cargo pants.. smile.gif

NYPD's rules and FDNY's rules hardly meet. NYPD has much stricter uniform rules.

thanks for your help guys, stay safe.

I also don't work for FDNY but I am an FDNY contracted 9-1-1 medic in the bronx.

The doc's advise is very relevant here.

• Like 1

Sorry for making you wait for me. Here I am.

FDNY EMS doesn't use "cargo pants". They use modified dress pants. Per policy, if the dispatch information is indicating potential transfer of body fluids from the patient to the uniform, the crew is supposed to gear up in the disposable BBP gear, or their assigned turnout gear.

Side note on that: while the FDNY Fire Fighters might be wearing department issued shorts under their turnout pants, the EMS EMTs and Paramedics are not allowed the shorts at all while on duty. This is a policy I personally would like changed, but whatever the reason is, thems be the rules we work under.

On the long sleeve, navy blue uniform shirts, the left shoulder patch is the FDNY patch, the right one is level of training, either "Certified First Responder-Defibrillator" for the Fire Fighters, "Emergency Medical Technician" or "Paramedic" as appropriate for the EMSer. The front of the shirt for Fire Fighters has FDNY and the member's name embroidered on it, in red, but the EMTs and Paramedics have white lettered patches that say "FDNY", and EMT" or "Paramedic", sewn on just above the pockets. The back of the shirts has, for the Fire Fighters, the red thread embroidery saying "FDNY", the EMSers have large patches, white thread, saying "FDNY", and the patch below it saying either "EMT" or "Paramedic"

The navy blue EMS uniform shirt is a 3 button polo shirt with white heat transfer type lettering that mimics the long sleeve patch setup.

Both Fire and EMS Lieutenants wear light blue dress style shirts as work uniform, with the FDNY and level of training patches sewn on the shoulders as already described, with the LT bars on the collar points. Captains and above wear the same patch and pin placement, but on white shirts.

EMSers wear a modified combat boot. The department is currently experimenting with several brands and styles, for user comfort and protection.

Class "A" type uniforms are a slightly more fancy dress pants. EMTs and Paramedics now wear shirts that look like the previously described lieutenant's work shirt, lieutenants and above wear white shirts, with navy blue ties. EMTs and Paramedics wear dress "blouses" (no idea why they are called that) that look like single breasted suit jackets, Lieutenants and above wear double breasted ones. EMS Lieutenants wear silver lapel devices, EMS Captains and above wear gold, in similarity to description in the next paragraph. All have the FDNY department patch on the left shoulder. The right shoulder is either empty, or a department approved "Station" patch, or one of a small number of approved 9-1-1 memorial patches (mine is an "FDNY EMS Station 47-Rockaway" patch).

The dress uniform cap is a so-called "bell cap" (looks a bit like a bell?), blue for FFs, EMTs and Paramedics, white for supervisors of all levels. Fire Fighters have a firematic design cap device, EMSers have circular one with Star of Life design in the center of a white disk. Silver or gold as previously described for supervisors. Fire Lieutenants and Captains have a few lapel pin designs indicating their ranks, and if they are from an Engine or Truck company. Chiefs are wearing eagles or stars, depending on their ranks.

All wear patent, or imitation patent, leather shoes

As for voluntary hospital ambulances, their subcontracted ambulances, or community based Volunteer EMS Corps, working within the NYC 9-1-1 system, they wear what their agencies tell them to wear. THESE people can, and do, wear the Cargo pants.

A small note: Any "uniformed" personnel (not civilians) normally assigned to working in headquarters or the Academies, wear Class "A" pants and shirts. If on temporary or light duty at HQ, they wear "Work" uniform as uniform of the day. Lieutenants wear the white shirts at either.

A second small note: EMTs and Paramedics wear a Star Of Life pin, with FDNY across it, on their long sleeve and Class "A" uniform shirts, Fire Fighters wear an FDNY Maltese Cross, or pins that indicate their assignment, such as "L137" or "E268". EMS Academy instructors wear a pin that looks like a Star Of Life with a book where the snake usually goes.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.