Preceptors riding students

wannabemedic

I am a student in ontario Canada, I'm having difficulties with my preceptor. I find he is giving me an extremely hard time. He seems disappointed having me as his student. My first day with him he didn't make eye contact with me or really acknowledged my presence. He has only ever given me negative feedback. When I do well at something he says nothing, when I screw up on something small he jumps on my back. He's quick to give orders, and never cracks a smile to me ever. Never asks me anything personal or seems to have any interest in my presence at all.

We had a hot call, and when we finally had the patient in the back of the truck, he snapped at me, demanding where something was in the bag...he said "you stocked the bags, Where is it?" I looked down and it was on his foot. When I picked it up and handed it to him, he never apologized or even said thanks. I don't mind working hard, or even picking up his dirty work. Why the attitude? I don't get it????? Am I missing something obvious??? Why are some preceptors like this??? Please would someone fill me in.

Sounds like my boss. I don't have an answer for you, as to why he is acting like that. All I can say is that, some people are just douche bags and miserable people. Maybe that's his way of liking the hard,dedicating working student.

Other than that. WELCOME TO THE CITY! Keep us updated as to how it all works out!

Denny

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you just have a medic who doesnt like students. Get his name and write a report to your ems program director about the situation.And if that doesnt work go up the chain of command. Get another preceptor or dont ride out with him if you can. I

Edited by runswithneedles
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you just have a medic who doesnt like students. Get his name and write a report to your ems program director about the situation.And if that dont work go up the chain of command. Get another preceptor or dont ride out with him if you can. I

Good advice. You don't want to jeopardize you're good work just by him not liking his student, and fail you for no reason.

• Like 1

Yeah I had a similar situation with a fireman/paragod who Ive butt heads with when Im on with the ambulance company I work for. If he gets his neck ringed by his supervisor he will change his tune. Promise you that

What you absolutely don't do is allow your clinical time to continue in this manner. Clinicals are terribly short. You need every shift to be productive.

It's on him for being an asshole, but now that you know better it's on your to stand up and demand the education that I'm assuming you paid for. Clinicals will be gone before you know it. You'll be sorry if you choose to waste a single day..

• Like 1

Ya, I had a similar experience. Finally after my 5th tour and my preceptor forgetting my name yet again, I had a chat with my school that went like this:

Me: There is no opportunity to learn here, and I need to leave

School: If you leave your practicum, you may be considered as a fail.

Me: If this is the best the school can provide, than this course was indeed a fail, i'll transfer my credits to a private school whom I am sure will provide a better practicum for a little $$

School: Let us see what we can do

Me: OK, but I am leaving this station tonight.

3 days later I had a new placement and had a great experience.

It is huge risky, but you create your own experience in this profession, but I for one was not willing to settle. Are you?

IWhy the attitude? I don't get it????? Am I missing something obvious??? Why are some preceptors like this??? Please would someone fill me in.

A lot of paramedics haven't had good role models as preceptors, and have been treated badly themselves as a student. Most probably haven't had any decent training on how to precept / mentor someone. As a result a lot of them model the same bad behaviours their own preceptors displayed. This is a shame.

I'm wondering if you've reached out to this person and tried to talk to them about how you're feeling? You say you feel like he's not interested in teaching you, and that you're not getting enough feedback, and not feeling welcome --- are you sure he's trying to send this message intentionally? Maybe there's something not going so well in his personal life? I think you should try and avoid having an outright shouting match, but at least talk to your preceptor about the current situation.

Then your next point of contact should be the practicum coordinator for your school, as others have suggested. There's a lot of people in EMS who like to push and push to see where someone's limits are, and sometimes you have to treat them like a schoolyard bully, and just stand up to them and they'll back down. But this is risky to do while you're on a practicum, as it can easily look like you created the problem.

For what it's worth, when I've mentored or precepted people, I've always felt like part of my job is making them feel welcome. They've paid a lot of money to go through school, and they're almost always volunteering their time on the ambulance. It also feels pretty good to have someone come to you and say "Hey, I'm new at this, can you teach me how to do it well, because you're better than me". I feel like practicum should be fun, and the student's primary focus should be to learn and do calls. Other things like station duties and restocking the truck, etc. should be secondary to the learning. The calls have to be debriefed, and there's going to be a certain amount of negative feedback that has to happen, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be fun.

Edit: illiteracy

Edited by systemet
  • Like 1

When I precept students, regardless of their certification, I always try and make them feel welcome. I feel it is MY responsibility to learn your name, find out how much you know, which stage you are at in your education, etc. It serves no purpose for me to try and explain something that you have yet to cover in your classes. Sure we might touch on some subjects, but without the theory of why we might do something for a patient might confuse the student. In a way I feel privileged that I was chosen for the student to ride with. We have to take a "preceptor class" to be able to well, precept. We do this on our own. Nobody pays me to take it but i feel obligated to try and help the student become the best provider they can.

Sorry that you are having such a rough time. Some ppl are just assholes and shouldn't be allowed to have students. Mobey's advice is dead on as usual. It is your education. If you aren't getting what you paid for, feel free to complain!

Good luck to you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.