Fireman Hitler has to 'ride the box' today..

DwayneEMTP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute, here. I believe the original movie that had the new English captions placed on it, as has already been done quite a few times already, is "Inglourious Basterds", with Brad Pitt playing a US Army Captain who is also a "Native American" (Indian), leading a squad of Jewish soldiers specializing in killing German soldiers, and scalping them.

cultural insensitivity

heh.

if you can read Hebrew, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198kIhOQV24. they can't find a parking spot anywhere, and are forced to stop on a scooter's space. they get a 250 shekels ticket. Hitler begs to see some humanity in the city council. his officer is trying to claim Ron Huldai (mayor of Tel Aviv) is using the money to build a 3rd lane on Ibn Gvirol st. - hitler's been waiting for 2 hours for the bus on that street and says Huldai is worse than Stalin (and curses the bus company). he also claims female drivers are causing traffic jams - and his friends aren't willing to split the ticket with him. Hitler wishes they were building trains and is contemplating selling his Volkswagen Beatle and moving from Tel Aviv to Petah Tikvah.

so- Dwayne, i think you're OK.

Wait a minute, here. I believe the original movie that had the new English captions placed on it, as has already been done quite a few times already, is "Inglourious Basterds", with Brad Pitt playing a US Army Captain who is also a "Native American" (Indian), leading a squad of Jewish soldiers specializing in killing German soldiers, and scalping them.

No, it`s a german movie dating some years back, called "Der Untergang" (dunno what the english caption is, they seem to translate rather freely when it comes to movie titles).

No, it`s a german movie dating some years back, called "Der Untergang" (dunno what the english caption is, they seem to translate rather freely when it comes to movie titles).

The English subtitled release is called "Downfall."

Dispite the Yiddish spoken in NYC being based somewhat on German, I don't speak either of those languages. Must be fun to watch a movcie or TV show where one speaks the language, but the captions are so radically different.

Could Quenten Tarantino have attempted to recreate the German movie within "Inglourious Basterds"?

I just remembered something (gasp!). "What's Up, Tiger Lilly?", where Woody Allen took an existing Japanese "James Bond" style spy film, and added captions that made it really funny.

Could Quenten Tarantino have attempted to recreate the German movie within "Inglourious Basterds"?

No, the plots and the genres are totally different.

"Downfall" focuses on the last days of the Third Reich, especially depicting Hitler`s last days when hiding in his bunker in Berlin.

On the other hand, Inglorious Bastards focuses on some kind of fictive Special Forces troops.

While Downfall is a rather quiet drama, Inglorious Basterds is partly pretty action-based and mixes various genres as well as it doesn`t makes an effort to deal seriously with the whole topic (at least that was my reception).

EDIT: A bit off-topic:

The "recreation" of foreign movies through Hollywood is getting more and more annoying in the last years. Various "new" movies nowadays are more less 100% copied from foreign films when it comes to the plot (mostly from Asian Countries, some French, etc.).

Edited by Vorenus

The "recreation" of foreign movies through Hollywood is getting more and more annoying in the last years. Various "new" movies nowadays are more less 100% copied from foreign films when it comes to the plot (mostly from Asian Countries, some French, etc.).

For my money Kung-Pow was the best of those. Random comedian green screens himself into the lead role of an old martial arts movie and redubs it in a hilarious way. The Woody Allen one wasn't bad, I just dislike him. I realize he's technically a very funny guy he just irritates me.

Wow Dwayne, I was unaware that the term "blacks" was now considered insensitive. Personally, I would agrue the phrase "african american" is incorrect, as it doesn't refer to any whities who have immigrated to the USA. Perhaps people have to stop having such delicate sensibilities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.