Intubation woes

runswithneedles

My advice is to say out loud what you are doing and seeing. This is helpful for a few reasons

1: It calms you down

2: It reminds you what you are doing (by saying what you are supposed to be doing at that point in the intubation it reminds you to do it.

3: You get more time to try the intubation if the person supervising hears that you know what you are doing, and if things are going well, they know what you are doing to correct the situation and are not just staring and the esophagus. Example:

"I'm opening the mouth wide, inserting the blade to the right and sweeping the tongue. I'm clearing the lips, I'm lifting to the opposite corner of the room. I see the epiglottis, I'm advancing into the valecula and pulling up. I see the cords, tube please. I have a grade 1 view (if you do), I see the tube passing through the cords. (hook up bag) I see chest rise, I have tube fogging, I have good C02 capnography. Equal breath sounds over the lungs and nothing over the belly."

Sounds dumb but that's what I was doing in anesthesia and I wasn't having people bump me out of the way after 5 seconds like some were.

Great post from 'zilla.

I'm reluctant to even try and add anything to it. But I just wanted to say that when I do an intubation on someone with a pulse, I'm pretty anal about how I set up.

* I check the suction works first, I jam the Yankauer in it's cover under the pillow

* I have my tube lubed, styleted, tested; I have a tube size smaller placed on the bench.

* The Bougie is out on the bench

* I've taken out the backup device, checked the cuffs

* The cric' kit is on the bench, or beside me

* Drugs are drawn up

* The patient's all wired for sound, (e.g. ECG, SpO2, NIBP) and the capnograph is on the bagger

Then I take a second to let everyone know where everything is. Then I tell them the plan, e.g. "I'm going to try and intubate with a styletted 9.0, and I want you to put your hand on the thyroid and hold it there. If that fails we're going to back out, and either try with the Bougie, or place a combitube".

I've had a few people react negatively to this, especially to the cric' kit. More than once I've heard "We're not going to need that!". But the reality is, you can't always predict when you're going to run into problems. If you're going to push the drugs, miss the tube, and get into a can't intubate can't ventilate situation, it's going to be easier if the kits already out and everyone knows where it is. [it's also a great way to know that everything's there, before you start.]

This may not be exactly revolutionary -- I'm sure most of us do this. But I just wanted to throw it out there.

I like the way you think, but why not try the bougie first; if you get it in there's an absolute 100% guarantee you've intubated the trachea when you slide the tube overtop.

Maybe it is just me, but I do not like using styleted tubes, I have used them a small number of times and just didn't really think it was for me

I like the way you think, but why not try the bougie first; if you get it in there's an absolute 100% guarantee you've intubated the trachea when you slide the tube overtop.

Maybe it is just me, but I do not like using styleted tubes, I have used them a small number of times and just didn't really think it was for me

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to use the bougie first. I might do this if I was intubating someone in C-spine, or a predicted difficult airway. But I used to use a styletted ETT on my first attempt to keep the skill of passing something a little wider through the cords. I didn't want to get into the habit of relying on something that one day might not be there. (Granted, it should always be there if I have a chance to check the truck, but sometimes you come on shift and walk straight into a call, or use the last one on a code, and don't get to get to restock it before hitting another call, etc.)

* As usual, remember that I've not be working in the field the last little bit, so I don't claim to be current on everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.