• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo

EMS explorers program

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BoCat9

BoCat9
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:medicine, sports, injuries
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

I was thinking about talking to my director about starting up an EMS explorers program. If I did and got the go ahead, what would I need to start off with, other than interested teenagers?

#2 island emt

island emt
  • Elite Members
  • 1,978 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

sedatives !

#3 ERDoc

ERDoc

5-38-BUFF

• Elite Members
  • 3,759 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

This is near and dear to me as it is how I got my start, though we were called student members. Is this for a paid service or volley? I'm going to speak from the volley side since I am more familiar with it. You first need to see if your adult membership is interested. Island is right, it is not easy having teenagers around. My student directors were saints and put up with a lot. Don't be discouraged if the idea is met with skepticism, just keep at it. Some of our best adult members came from our student program. You need to see if they will be covered by your insurance. You need to establish rules to govern the student group. Then you can start to look for the students. Heavy recruiting in the high schools is a great way to get more members.

#4 dstevens58

dstevens58
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, John Grisham, EMS
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I think this would be awesome and will be looking in to it. I know there will be a need for a director with patience, but not sure of age guidelines. I would imagine they would have to be a "first responder" or is there a special category for explorers? I'm looking on my state's website now to try to find out age requirements and the like.

#5 bostonlegalemt

bostonlegalemt
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

The first thing you should do is contact your local Boy Scouts of America office. The Explorers are part of the BSA and they can tell you exactly what the process is to organize a local Explorer Post. While you are at it, consider becoming a Merit Badge Counselor for First Aid, Emergency Preparedness and any others that you feel qualified for.

It's been a few years since I was a Life Scout (level just below Eagle Scout), Cubmaster and Asst. Scoutmaster (I was never an Explorer) but I believe the age group in question is between 14 and 20 and because of the commitment necessary to perform the Explorer requirements, you are likely to have young men who are more mature than the norm.

Not sure if they are still called Explorers or are now called Venturers. Good luck with your idea!

Mike Pierce, EMT-B
Massachusetts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users