Hi - Introduction

b.anderson

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to everyone on the forum here. I ran across it the other day and decided to join. I found many of the threads to be supportive which is the opposite of many other forums I've seen related to EMS, but I don't mean to generalize.

I'm a 17-year-old Emergency Medical Responder (it's an equivalent to Washington's EMT-B) from British Columbia, Canada. Currently completing my secondary education before being eligible to apply to the Primary Care Paramedic program over here. I have my eyes focused on a career as a paramedic.

Currently, I plan on obtaining a PCP certification and licencing, and head back to complete the ACP program once I meet the additional pre-requisites. I haven't decided if CCP would be for me yet however. Most of the instructors and paramedics I've spoke to have said the majority of CCPs in BC do life flight hospital transfers--I'd like to work on the road, though it's not completely out of the question for me and I certainly wouldn't mind the additional knowledge and education that came along with it.

I'm rather inexperienced, the two gunshot wounds that were drawn on with sharpies during the EMR course notwithstanding. Due to my age, opportunity to gain real world experience is limited.

I look forward to learning more, and speaking with everyone here.

Best,

B. Anderson

Hey B,

I have to tell you your enthusiasm and youth is enviable. You have the entire world and future in front of you. You have plenty of time to get experience and education.

You seem like a pretty well centered guy but at your age every decision is important, which girl or guy to date, what friends to have, what parties to go to, different behaviors and activities to engage in, so many things that will sidetrack us if we let them.

Given the opportunity to keep my eyes on the prize all over again I probably would have made a lot of different choices that would keep my eyes on the goal.

I guess I am trying to say; don’t stop in your advancement but don’t worry when it seems to be slow or real time experience seems just out of reach. It will come in time.

Welcome to the City!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.