A Pretty Horrible Christmas day for NSW Ambo's

craig

Pretty shitty start to Christmas day with the news that one of our own was killed rescuing two trapped climbers in a canyon south of Wollongong.

Seems that even when we feel thing are good, events can show us that we are very miniscule in the scheme of things

my thought go out to Mick's immediate work colleages and his family at this sad time.

"No greater love has a man than to lay his life down for another"

RIP Michael.............

http://news.smh.com....1225-1p99p.html

Edited by craig
  • Like 2

horrible story mate.

Condolences to his family and his workmates. Ambulance is a small world, he would have been known by many.

Is it known what happened to this poor bloke?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/paramedic-dies-during-rescue-operation/story-fn7x8me2-1226230346541

http://news.google.ca/news/story?q=australian+search+and+rescue&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=do1XaM-pU0QFCMMeWQNoLmhH6vSzM&hl=en&ei=NlP3TomjK-iRiAL5i42UDQ&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=5&ved=0CEwQqgIwBA

For those that have experience in this area, the line is cut ONLY when the there is threat to the life of the entire crew and the bird, its something all crew chiefs understand and accept as a risk. After reading all the 81 on line posts concerning this event, a rational man is lead to believe that this sacrifice was unavoidable. I feel so deeply sorry for all those involved and it is my hope that they do not blame themselves as all these hoist rescue's come with huge risk.

"We do this so others may live"

PRSAR, RDSAR, WSAR (member)

Closing note:

Craig if you could be so kind as provide a link to a memorial on line page link, I am quite positive that others would be pleased to send our condolences to family and friends .

Craig if you could be so kind as provide a link to a memorial on line page link, I am quite positive that others would be pleased to send our condolences to family and friends .

Squint

dont know if there is one as yet, however ther is a ASNSW face book site

if i find out more i will place a link here

thanks for everyones support

craig

Let us know ... wasn't Phil from NSW ? I miss that twisted MOFO pervert .. I bet he knows Mike or of him.

Got your 6 ... craig ... let us know if we can support in any way, Mikes kids should know what this global EMS community is all about. Medic's beyond all borders, its a brotherhood and sisterhood and those children are welcome in my home any time for a Kanukistanian adventure (pick summer best advice)

cheers mate.

Edited by tniuqs

Let us know ... wasn't Phil from NSW ? I miss that twisted MOFO pervert .. I bet he knows Mike or of him.

Got your 6 ... craig ... let us know if we can support in any way, Mikes kids should know what this global EMS community is all about. Medic's beyond all borders, its a brotherhood and sisterhood and those children are welcome in my home any time for a Kanukistanian adventure (pick summer best advice)

cheers mate.

yeah Phil is still around

dont know if phil knew him, chances are he may have met him on a hosptial retrieval when mike flew in. you can always send condolences via the official ASNSW web site.

according to todays papers it wasnt that the winch cable was cut that caused the death, it was the fact that Mike was flung into the side of the canyon wall and crushed between the wall and the patient on the stokes he was with...if going by the papers is the correct. the cable was only cut after they were lowered to the ground as they could detach.

www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au

cheers

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.