• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Room 1:

Come check out the updated chat room.  Any member can use the chat.  Just click the "Chat Room" menu item.

Photo
- - - - -

Dopamine Drip calculation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FireEMT2009

FireEMT2009
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting/EMS, Paintball.
Neutral

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

After talking to a very respected medic in the company, they taught me an easy way to calculate a dopamine drip for a patient as long as you are using the standard 1600mcg/ml bag (double the drips for a 800mcg/ml bag). For every 5kg you add 1 drop. so a patient weighing 100kg would get 20gtt/min at 5mcg/kg/min. (I worked the math out myself and it works perfectly). Just thought someone might appreciate that sometime or another, I know I did.

#2 romneyfor2012

romneyfor2012
  • Members
  • 120 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Although there is nothing wrong with doing the above, I prefer to be exact, because I used to work on a neonatal transport team, where we would frequently make the concentration of drugs much higher to reduce the amount of drops that had to be delivered, in that situation you could not "spit-ball" the dosages, so here is an easy way to be exact:

Multiply everything together and divide by the concentration:

Mcgs you want to deliver x Patient KG x 60 / concentration

So if you want to deliver 10mcg to a 50kg patient, 10x50x60= 30,000 / 1600 = 18.75

This formula works for all dosages and all concentrations, and you will amaze everyone as most charts round up 1-2 drops.

#3 FireEMT2009

FireEMT2009
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting/EMS, Paintball.
Neutral

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yea if im setting up a med drip i use the Dosage needed to be given, times, drop set, divided by concentration like you stated earlier. I use my calculator usually so my drops are correct because I have alot of trouble working with big numbers in my head, and usually if I'm doing a drip like dopamine I don't have time to get a piece of paper and pencil to write it out.

#4 Ruffmeister Paramedic

Ruffmeister Paramedic

Chief in charge of my making my family happy Officer

• Chat Room Moderator
  • 8,352 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

So just how do you measure a .75 drops without a pump

#5 DwayneEMTP

DwayneEMTP

Welcome to the jungle..we've got fun and games...

• Moderators
  • 4,612 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

...in that situation you could not "spit-ball" the dosages, so here is an easy way to be exact:...

Except for those rare folks that have pumps it's always 'spit balled' though, right?

Yea if im setting up a med drip i use the Dosage needed to be given, times, drop set, divided by concentration like you stated earlier. I use my calculator usually so my drops are correct because I have alot of trouble working with big numbers in my head, and usually if I'm doing a drip like dopamine I don't have time to get a piece of paper and pencil to write it out.

Brother where you do work as a volly EMT/medic student that you're setting up these kinds of drips, particularly Dopamine?

Dwayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users