Heterosexual pride day! Good idea or bad?

Just Plain Ruff

Gay pride day is stupid.

Heterosexual pride day is stupid.

If sexual orientation is innate, and thus not a choice, what is there to be proud about?

Note: absence of pride, and presence of shame are not the same thing. You can be something and be neither prideful or ashamed of it, especially if it isn't a choice.

This to me is no different than the race based events.

All these years we have had Miss Black America, BET, Black scholarships...all of which were created to show diversity and pride in who they were. And all during the years, the debate has been how unfair it is that blacks have these events and there are no whites allowed. They challenge it by saying "what if" we had a Miss White America, what if we had WET, etc....the point is, "we" do not need those things and if we did, it would be more destructive than helpful, it would also be blatant racism.

Are they instituting their own racism by having these events. In a sense, yes but culturally it is something "they" need to feel some sort of identity. Others (typically whtie America) will say WHY do they need an identity..they are an American and thats it. It is very easy to just throw that around when every TV program, every event is automatically defaulted to a white demographic.

So as I said, a straight parade is exactly similar to what I wrote above except they are finally doing it. They are saying we should have straight parades because they have gay ones just to prove a point. It is entirely pointless as the majority default position is heterosexual and most are presumed to be of this orientation until proven otherwise.

I would not go to one as it would be quite boring I think. Gay parades are fu to watch because of the flamboyancy. They go to such outlandish extremes because this is a sanctioned event, people get silly and they have fun with it. I imagine a lot of stress is released by the displays as well. It is in your face comedy, stereotypes taken to the 9th degree.

Hell I may add a GLBT scholarship to the atheist/humanist one I am starting at the local college.

How about a sexual pride day? That might be...interesting.

I have sexual pride every day, sometimes I pride myself 2 or 3 times.... :P

• Like 1

Tit for tat ... If heterosexuals want to have a straight pride parade, let them. I would likely be at work so unable to participate and don't particularly feel the desire to tell everyone that I'm super proud to be straight. It's my business, I don't care to share what I do with the world.

If one feels the desire to have a party or parade or whatever just to show how proud they are of who they are, who cares. Everything has potential to offend someone, no matter what it is.

I have sexual pride every day, sometimes I pride myself 2 or 3 times.... :P

... and that's before breakfast!

The purpose in gay pride parades is to show our pride as we were forced to be in the closet (and still are in many situations)for so many years. In the straight world, gay people are the exception not the rule, so by showing up in numbers at a particular event shows our strength and educates the straight public that we are not monsters, or the small percentage of the population thinks we are. It is also a march for our rights, it is a shame that in this day and time, we still cannot:

1. Get legally married.

2. Adopt children

3. Show affection in public

4. Enjoy the spousal rights that heterosexual couples (even ones that are not married) enjoy.

Say this sentence to yourself, "Gays should not be allowed to _______________________________ "(insert whatever you believe) then turn around and replace the word "Gays" with men, women, blacks, hispanics, or jews and see how it changes your belief.

The purpose in gay pride parades is to show our pride as we were forced to be in the closet (and still are in many situations)for so many years. In the straight world, gay people are the exception not the rule, so by showing up in numbers at a particular event shows our strength and educates the straight public that we are not monsters, or the small percentage of the population thinks we are. It is also a march for our rights, it is a shame that in this day and time, we still cannot:

1. Get legally married.

2. Adopt children

3. Show affection in public

4. Enjoy the spousal rights that heterosexual couples (even ones that are not married) enjoy.

Say this sentence to yourself, "Gays should not be allowed to ___do all the above in your list____________________________ "(insert whatever you believe) then turn around and replace the word "Gays" with men, women, blacks, hispanics, or jews and see how it changes your belief.

I'm not against Gays doing any of the things you listed so for me your points are moot. But keep on banging that drum, the gay community needs people like you to keep the fires burning as well as keep some of the stereotypes going as well.

Remember that thing in the Declaration of independence "All men are created equal" or some silly thing like that. I do believe that. I believe that all women are created equal as well but to quote a favorite movie of mine "boys have a penis, girls have a vagina" and that's no longer true anymore is it?

?????????? you lost me Captain !!! The fact that we cannot do the things listed above (and many more)shows that we are not created equal. And do not forget that in most religions we are already vanquished to hell just because of who we are. Try living with that all of your life, I doubt you know what it feels like to not be able to walk in public and sense the disdain from everyone who is staring at you (and no, I am not talking about being flaming in public, I am talking about just being able to go to McDonalds and sit on the same side of the booth with my lover).