• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo

why is 0.9% sodium chloride used as a fluid replacement in the human body?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dpav

dpav
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

Working part time for a local fire department i need to do a class for the crew next week about iv's and iv preperation and I want to get all my bases covered. Im talking about what the iv bag/tubing is made out of, what the ports are for, color coding of needle gauges ect ect to give a comprehensive class. Something that I have had a hard time finding information on is why EXACTLY is 0.9% sodium chloride (normal saline/lactated ringers) used for as a fluid replacement? what does it actually do for the body and why not just like a sterile water, why is the salt needed? im taking shots in the dark because i have found numerous answers in my research ranging that it is soluable with normal blood to having a similar ph balance to whatever else to the point i just couldnt get one distinct, solid answer for what it does and why its used (even from the medics I work with).

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

#2 paramedicmike

paramedicmike
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 3,490 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

For starters, normal saline and lactated ringer's are two different fluids. They are not the same.

#3 ERDoc

ERDoc

5-38-BUFF

• Elite Members
  • 3,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

As someone who is new to the forum, be forewarned, you won't find anyone to do your homework for you here. You will find plenty of people who will be more than happy to lead you to the answer. Try looking up osmolarity.

#4 tcripp

tcripp
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 688 posts
Good

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

I think part of the problem is that the answer to that question isn't as simple as you are hoping. Frankly, we learned that in two separate classes over a single semester. ERDoc is right, we won't give you the answer, but we will direct you in the right direction and then help you if you are still having issues. While looking up osmolarity, look up hypertonic/hypotonic/isotonic solutions. As paramedicmike stated, normal saline and lactated ringers are different beasts. As a matter of fact, these are only two of the intravenous fluids out there. Go and look up colloids/crystalloids.

Hopefully, this will give you a good start...and we are here if you have specific questions on what you've read.

Toni

#5 JPINFV

JPINFV

Gadfly

• Elite Members
  • 3,316 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

Well, to be fair, sterile water is used in certain situations, but lab values are required to decide to go that route.

If you really want to blow your mind, look up how the body controls total body water and how the body controls osmolaity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users