First time EMT-B carry on gear?

EMTDenny

Hey guys, I am curious, what should a EMT basic carry during the shift? I am a new EMT in New York state. I wanted to know so i can purchase some stuff ahead of time. Thanks a lot gang!! Any answer is always appreciated.

• Like 1

Great advise from docharris.

The truck should have all of the equipment you would need.I carry my own eye protection, trauma shears and extra pens and sharpies. Vicks vapor rub for the smells, extra socks, skivies and shirts in case I get soiled.

I also carry a quick reference guide that I have been building fo a while.

The job is a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Edited by DFIB

You will learn that the longer you do the job, the less you carry. As previously stated, anything you need SHOULD be in the ambulance (make sure you do your 800 check before getting on the road). I always brought my own stethoscope (sharing ear boogers always grossed me out). I also brought my own trauma shears since the ones on the bus were always dull and couldn't cut through butter.

My advice would be to get yourself a stethoscope and then reevaluate your needs after you have worked for a bit.

You are at the young stage of your career where you need to spend alot of money on "stuff" that you do not really need; much like when you were a teenager and needed that $500.00 car stereo that busted your eardrums. So, I would purchase:

1. A complete jump kit for your car, including PPE for when you stop at accident scenes, an inexpensive stethoscope, glucometer, and B/P cuff.

2. Scissors.

3. A good reflective safety vest for accident scenes.

Buy these three things

1. Quality but not bank breaking stethoscope

2. Trauma shears

3. Package of Bic or similar pens(they go missing faster than you can replace them)

These will work if you are working a transfer service or a 911 service.

Once you get out there working you will determine what you need more of or need to purchase additionally.

I was that EMS Geek when I got my emt. I got a fully loaded jump kit and all the extras. Maxxed a credit card out to get all that stuff. I still have the jump bag, fully loaded with an empty oxygen tank (couldn't find any place to get it filled without showing proof of why I needed it). for the life of me I have never understood the need for 5 different types of hemostats, 3 different sets of scissors and those 98 pocket pants that are out there. Seems like extreme overkill.

Just my 2 cents. If anyone wants to buy my jump kit, I'll sell it cheap.

those 98 pocket pants that are out there.

Little trick I came up with for cargo pockets, use one of them to dispose of all your clean garbage during a call (electrode backing, O2 wrapper, etc.) that way you're not leaving the person's house a mess with your leftovers on top of whatever else they're going through.

I would add to my previouse post that that is what I carry to work because the ambulance has all the other equipment.

In my truck i carry all that other stuff, Jump bag, KED, glucometer, thermometer, pulse oximeter and a long couple of long kelly's. I have them because I stop to render aid when not on duty and purchased most of it within the first six months after graduating EMT school. At work I use the company's equipment.

• Like 1

Awesome! Yeah i would like to add some stuff to my SUV also, like a jumpkit pulse oximeter would be nice to have. I certainly would not mind stopping and lending a hand if needed.

Awesome! Yeah i would like to add some stuff to my SUV also, like a jumpkit pulse oximeter would be nice to have. I certainly would not mind stopping and lending a hand if needed.

Seriously, do yourself a favour; wait. Give yourself a year minimum in the field, maybe even two to gain some perspective. You can dump a tonne of money into this stuff unnecessarily. Truly consider how you can best help someone off-duty and you'll realize the most useful things you can provide are a good 911 call, a calm presence, a blanket and nothing more complicated than you'd find in the average first aid kit.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.