Proper Use of Stair Chair

"OK ma'am. I'm going to need you to do what I do. We are going to slide down the remaining 7 flights on out butts. My partner will be holding you O2 take, IV bag and cardiac monitor."

EDIT: From what he describes, it sounds like an acceptable work-around but you know if something happens, even if it has nothing to do with the broken equipment, it will be cited in the lawsuit as the source of the problem. He's in NYC so you know it will be a lawsuit.

its probably his own personal equipment

Why do you assume it is in service ?

It's just the way you made it sound. Like I said, I wasn't trying to start a fight, just asking a serious question. There are plenty of services out there that would insist you take the broken equipment if it is still "useable".

Edited by ERDoc

I hear that sometimes, but i still use the handles. I have one stairchair with a broken handle, rivet area cracked and the plastic grip slides off. Ferno washington model 40 iirc.. Sure grabbing the frame is most reliable, but it boils down to checking your equipment before use.

Sounds like you have it in service when you are saying grabbing the frame is the most reliable. If it's not in service then by all means that's the best thing but you sure made it sound like i was in service.

It's just the way you made it sound. Like I said, I wasn't trying to start a fight, just asking a serious question. There are plenty of services out there that would insist you take the broken equipment if it is still "useable".

Yeah, I worked for a service like that. They said if there was a way to make it work with a patient then use it till we get a replacement.

well, broken handle is no way usable. no decent agency would use broken equipment. I wasn't insulted, but I thought it was strange to think an item like that would be in service.

If I was not sure about something I would ask: Is that stair chair still in service ? and get an answer before asking : why haven't you taken it out of service ?

Well you said you "have one" we wouldn't have one anymore that is no longer in service. It would be long gone once replaced

MB, I know you view the world from your eyes, but I am not the same as you. I'm sure YOU wont have anything not in service, and that's fine. but I'm pretty sure that if you ask your head of Logistics or Operations Chief " Do you have anything no longer in service?" and he will say yes, take you somewhere in the back where you don't have access, scan his retina, and a door will open showing you all sorts of stuff they never threw away.

• Like 1

We have many items that are no longer in service. Most of them are from long before you were born.

They are in our museum collection mounted on the wall.

If an item is not safe to function as designed , it is thrown out & replaced.

your little sheltered world is not the same as reality , unless you work for the empire of doom.

your little sheltered world is not the same as reality , unless you work for the empire of doom.

MB, I know you view the world from your eyes, but I am not the same as you. I'm sure YOU wont have anything not in service, and that's fine. but I'm pretty sure that if you ask your head of Logistics or Operations Chief " Do you have anything no longer in service?" and he will say yes, take you somewhere in the back where you don't have access, scan his retina, and a door will open showing you all sorts of stuff they never threw away.

um no, we don't keep broken and unsafe equipment. I promise. As a matter of fact I asked about an old cot we were using to take to the school I went to and was told it was long gone.

Our head quarters is open for me to come and go as I please. There is no hidden rooms. No broken equipment laying around.