UK Paramedic transferring to Canada

marky_john

Hi guys

I'm a UK qualified Paramedic and would love to work in Canada. I've made some basic enquiries and have gathered some information, but would love to get in touch with someone from the UK who has made the jump into Canadian EMS. If you have any thoughts or advice it would be great to hear from you all.

When you can PM me and I will try to help. I did 15 yrs NHS then moved back to Canada. Biggest problem will be the work visaeven before the qualifications also everything depends on where you want to move to. Each Prov is slightly different - not like UK where the ticket is good for everywhere.

Drop me a line

As the other poster as mentioned, the visa issue will be the first thing to address. Then pick a province that you would be interested in and we can help give some information on how feasible it may be. There have been many threads on this before that you might be able to dig up with a bit of searching.

Best I can do for you is contact information for British Columbia Emergency Medical Assistant Licensing Branch and the Alberta College of Paramedics. Both have a reciprocity process but, being a "local", I can't tell you much about how it works.

I do have a good friend looking to spend some time working in the UK while his girlfriend finishes her doctorate. Any insight you may have on the process the other direction would be much appreciated.

Hey Rock Shoes

Just read the last bit of your reply, does your friend still need help with UK?

I'm not sure if he has it all figured out yet or not. I'll shoot you a PM after I talk to him again and find out what he still needs to figure out.

Edited by rock_shoes

• 2 months later...

I'm also a UK Paramedic looking to work in Canada BC/Alberta/Yukon, just researching all the info now through internet threads etc, (looking at skills match for their ACP equivalency , Provincial Nominee Program, Visa etc)

Im heading out to BC next week for a few days so will prob do some digging around for info, thinking of popping across to the Justice Institute for BC, and try and locate BC ambulance HQ for more info, if anyone has any more pointers of where I should contact to steer me in the right direction that'd be great

Edited by mm32

For starters here's a link to the BCAS application package and a link to the public site application process.

http://www.bcas.ca/assets/Careers/PDFs/application%20form_2443A.pdf

http://www.bcas.ca/EN/main/careers/900/application-process-and-resources.html

This next link is to the application for licensure process for international applicants.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/license/ptpnonbc_international_apps.html

Best I can do for you at the moment. Regardless of everything else you'll need to obtain licensure in BC before you can apply for work.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.