New ACP course locations - BC

FYI,

The JIBC School of Health Sciences is exploring the possibility of delivering the Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) Program at our Victoria and Kelowna campuses. We would appreciate your participation in this short survey which will help us in establishing potential applicant numbers for these locations. Your responses will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

http://survey.jibc.ca/survey/30997/123e/

If you have any difficulty in accessing this survey please contact acp@jibc.ca

Spork

• 3 weeks later...

Took the survey. Too bad the JI has taken such an obscene amount of time getting their ducks in a row. A huge portion of us have left the province to train elsewhere. How many will come back to BC after? Who knows. Either way the current state of paramedic education in BC is flat out embarrassing.

• 10 months later...

I personally know of 4 people who have left BC to come to AB. And thats just for better work conditions/ pay. Oh and 1 of those to take their EMT-P (ACP)

But its a step in the right direction! Keep them local and hopefully increase the ALS coverage in BC. ALS has been around since the 70's, eh.

• 4 weeks later...
Good, maybe BC will quit sending students to Sask so we can open up some spots for our residents.

Most of us only went as far east as Alberta, but you certainly raise a valid point. Why doesn't BC have enough ACP seats available to at least keep up with the attrition rate of current providers? Never mind enough to expand ALS service coverage.

Beyond that I have to wonder if the JI is in need of some competition. I see no reason SAIT, NAIT, or SIAST couldn't field a sister program in partnership with BCIT. Monopoly in education isn't necessarily a good thing.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

The JI had competition. The College of the Rockies developed a PCP program but "someone" went running to the Ministry of education and had it shut down. Apparently there is no shortage of PCPs in BC so there is no need for another training program. If another school cannot get funding for a PCP program I doubt anyone would shell out the expense of getting an ACP program up and running.

The JI had competition. The College of the Rockies developed a PCP program but "someone" went running to the Ministry of education and had it shut down. Apparently there is no shortage of PCPs in BC so there is no need for another training program. If another school cannot get funding for a PCP program I doubt anyone would shell out the expense of getting an ACP program up and running.

If done in partnership with an existing program the actual expense would be quite small. Think of it like what the JI does with alternate program delivery sites. It could be the NAIT or SAIT program delivered at say BCIT.

As for what happened with the College of the Rockies program I don't know the details. I do know there is more of a need for qualified staff than the JI might have you believe. My previous station has taken 5 street hires over the last two months. Prior to this the last street hire into that station was 13 years ago.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.