First Responder Motorcycles

Every couple of years, "Motorcycle Medics" seems to come forward as a "new" idea.

Over here in Bavaria they were introduced in 1983/1984, still performing service during summertime on weekends, when the autobahn are full of tourists (see this link, text in german, lots of pictures, but they even have some information in english) Other bavarian EMS organizations now have motorcycles as well, but not as long and not as regularly on the street. In other german states it's sometimes known, but not common. The service is volunteer, staff are "Rettungssanitäter" (~EMT) und "Rettungsassistent" (~paramedic), setting mostly are the autobahn and nearby villages/roiads, sometimes on stand-by in larger/long-range events (i.e. marathon runs or such). In service they are connected to the various dispatch centers on their patroling way.

They not only provide (first) emergency medical care, beeing able to rush through the traffic more easy than an ambulance. They even do some caring for upset people in traffic jams, calming them down and informing them about ways around (for this they carry gift toys and spare maps). In earlier times they sometimes served as pilot for out-of-area ambulances, this now is rare since the use of GPS devices.

For our larger disaster response formations we use them as accompanying cycles for traffic control, in disaster situations they're used as messengers and first assesment explorers.

I can provide more information on request or get you in contact. However, I'm not a rider myself (and don't want to be). But I know them pretty good and worked with them on several calls.

EDIT: link to an emergency ride video (WMV), try this with your average ambulance. :)

Edited by Bernhard

I think it's a great idea in rural areas with very widespread coverage areas. It's sure to cut down response time in these types of situations.

Why not just put people in their cars or provide a couple of chase cars in the county budget. I mean cars are more expensive than motorcycles but they provide much more protection in a crash than a motorcycle does.

What would the liability and insurance be for putting motorcycles on the streets?

sure the bikes can get through traffic jams quicker but what other benefits will they serve in a rural area.

I can just see it now. You get the young guns on the bikes. The call comes in, they go screaming down the road with their crotchrockets, driving well in excess of the speed limit (don't you dare say they won't) and they get to the scene. All the while the public is calling 911 to report a crazy speeding motorcycle that looks like a police bike with lights and sirens on it.

I guess you can say I'm against putting medics on bikes in rural areas because seriously, how much true time are you going to save with a medic on a bike? you would be better served if you put another ambulance on the street. In the long run, cost/benefit analysis, I would bet you would see a better return on investment with another ambulance than a couple of motorcycle medics.

You do make a lot of valid points. I can see first responders causing all sorts of mischief on the motorcycles. I was simply looking at it from a response time to get treatment to the patient quicker. Ultimately we will still have to wait for an ambulance for transport.

I'm just thinking of those instances where there may be an arrest, or anaphylaxis involved. Time is of the essence in those situations. I guess the real concern would be to ensure proper training and regulation if motorcycles were implemented.

You do make a lot of valid points. I can see first responders causing all sorts of mischief on the motorcycles. I was simply looking at it from a response time to get treatment to the patient quicker. Ultimately we will still have to wait for an ambulance for transport.

I'm just thinking of those instances where there may be an arrest, or anaphylaxis involved. Time is of the essence in those situations. I guess the real concern would be to ensure proper training and regulation if motorcycles were implemented.

True Dat, emssworld

I can see these for urban ems, but rural with minimal traffic would really not benefit from them. But there would be the one time or several times a year when all the ambulances are out on calls and an additional call comes in that would make the bike medics a good thing.

Maybe what should happen would be if bike medics are utilized in a rural area, they should be on call for the times that all ambulances are out. They are taken home on a off shift basis and only get called out if a medical emergency comes in that there are no ambulances available for. That would be a good thing.

Or they could be used but if the ambulance is closer then they don't respond unless it's a major medical incident such as chest pain, code, shooting or the like. Those you can always use a 2nd set of hands in the back.

But then you have the issue of what you do with the ambubike in the mean time while that medic is helping on the call. And how do you get the medic who drove the bike back to his bike? Especially when that call is way away from the ambubikes driver lives if he came from home.

But even with a bike unit, there needs to be policies and procedures in place for those ambubike riders who think they have carte blanche to drive however the hell fast they want.

Part of the theory behind MotorMedics is, they can get down otherwise traffic blocked streets, or jump onto sidewalks for the same reason.

Yeah but in rural areas that part theory isn't really in place except for the interstates. You can usually get people to move out of the way in rural areas.

But the concept is sound in my opinion, I just don't see a need for them in a rural area. NYC or LA! Yep

NYC EMS experimented with MOPEDS for the 1980 Transit Authority strike. I can state that traffic was severely disrupted, as it took me almost an hour to drive from one side of my base hospital to the other, a task that, before the strike, took 3 minutes.

PS: I was not yet in the 9-1-1 EMS, but was in an IFT service.

bikes make a difference where cars can't easily get - tourist ridden roads that aren't designed to cope with the summer influx or perpetual near grid lock major cities are their ideal setting ... which where the long lasting schemes in the UK are whether motorbike or pedal cycle...

Motorbikes are not a critical issue, I agree. They have their advantages and their disadvantages, just as about any other thing in EMS (and whole life). If they solve an issue with acceptable costs, then OK (and sometimes you have to add "public relation" to your cost/benefit sheet as well, just with any other business). It's not more complicated than that.

Thus said, I see following real disadvantages of motorbikes against cars:

• far more weather dependent (in snowy/icy winter settings they're not really applicable)
  • can't transport (this restricts them to first responding or additional tasks not involving transport)

need additional/cross-training as EMT/medic and motorcyclyst (but usually the drivers are experienced motorcyclists of their own, not having to go through basic training by the organization - additional safety training should be provided, though)

• not much capacity for things, equipment has to be reduced in number, weight and space

Clear advantages over cars are:

• small
  • agile
  • speedy
  • public relation aware

Now simply calculate this up (include purchasing, maintenance and operational costs), then decide. :)

That's really not so special. I'm only rather angry when someone states having found something "completely new" and the "ultimate solution" or something like that in the world of EMS, having to accept that it's obviously a part of the public relation thing above. I have my share organizing several things that someone else sold as completely new years later getting the publicity and more important, the funds I was too dumb to claim (knowing that even I was not the first). Sh** happens...

Thinking of other special (first responder) EMS-"vehicles". I know following do exist beside ambulances and simple chase cars:

Not to mention other special equipment for rough terrain (ATV, amphibious, Hoovercraft), mountains (motor sledge/Skidoo, crawler-mounted ATV, see article about several mountain rescue special vehicles in germany), water (image) and railroad track (picture series of a german Rescue Train). There even are medic/physician helicopters (with NO patient transport capacity) in germany.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.