No SOB, no complaints, but wheezing?

tcripp

"Breathing Treatment" is just common vernacular over here, because its understood by the lay public easier than "nebulizer" or more specific terms. How it became a standard part of the EMS lexicon is rather inane, but it has none the less.

Fair enough for the publci, but i'd expect it to be a bit more specific in here considering the amount tooing and froing we do on professionalism.

Fair enough for the publci, but i'd expect it to be a bit more specific in here considering the amount tooing and froing we do on professionalism.

Agreed, but it is so deeply ingrained that honestly I had never even considered how it sounded until you mentioned it, and you know me I am usually a stickler for those type of things. Its as ingrained as using the term "code" for cardiac arrest.

I have been following this thread for a couple days... and it is bothering me... I feel like there is something I am missing when I read the thread...

The patient is wheezing, but has no history to support it, and vital signs show no distress... I get that the event could precipitate an asthma attack, and I can see where a neb could be justified. But, I can also see why comfort only is ok, since patient has good sats and is not complaining of any breathing distress.

I want to dig a lot deeper into his history... is there anything.. ANYTHING.. that this wheezing can be attributed to? He may not think that something is pertinent until we ask the right question. Where does he work? Any possible exposure to chemical inhalant, asbestos, silicone? Chlorine from a swimming pool? Was there anything leaking from the vehicle that could have been an irritant?

I just want to question this guy to the point where I am annoying...

And turnip - I am fully in favor of the therapeutic head slap for texting while driving...

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the ePCR, so any further I give you is what I can remember. Pt's wheezing was only on auscultation. His color was fine and he denied any difficulties in breathing.

Now, as to the ANYTHING. Anything is possible. It was a dry, hot dusty day, so any allergens could have kicked it off. There were no leaks/smells from the vehicle. And, he's a retiree...he was on his way home from doing some shopping at a local butcher. Beyond that, I must admit that I didn't delve in as deeply as some would have liked. As with any learning, I bet I will do more so next time. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.