Autism

Katiebug

Here's a good read on one doc's theory on the cause of autism. She has an autistic child, so she has a personal stake in her research.

I'd love to see a study on this.

​http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/31/dr-natasha-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps-nutritional-program.aspx?e_cid=20110731_SNL_Art_1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a good read on one doc's theory on the cause of autism. She has an autistic child, so she has a personal stake in her research.

I'd love to see a study on this.

​http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/31/dr-natasha-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps-nutritional-program.aspx?e_cid=20110731_SNL_Art_1

Personal or Financial .. look to "scholarly studies" for real evidence based medicine, besides just a brief overview and stating that infants are born with "sterile gut" is absolutely incorrect, meconium aspiration would not be an issue if that were true.

How does meconium aspiration relate to this? That's an entirely different organ system.

Anyway, I agree with you that this is not an article full of hard facts, but it's possible that she's onto something. That's why I say I'd like to see a study. A real one.

I'm not willing to "poo poo" anything until it's tested.

Pun intended. ;)

Quote from the article based on an interview.

Dr. Campbell explains:

"As far as science knows, the baby inside the mother's womb during nine months of gestation is sterile. The baby's gut is sterile. The baby acquires its gut flora at the time of birth, when the baby goes through the birth canal of the mother. So whatever lives in mom's birth canal, in mom's vagina, becomes the baby's gut flora.

So what lives in mom's vagina? It's a very richly populated area of a woman's body. The vaginal flora comes from the bowel. So if the mother has abnormal gut flora, she will have abnormal flora in her birth canal. Fathers are not exempt because fathers also have gut flora, and that gut flora populates their groin and they share their groin flora with the mother on a regular basis.

… I always collect health history from the mother, the father, and preferably even grandparents of the child. I find that we have a growing and a deepening epidemic of abnormalities in the gut flora, which began since Second World War when antibiotics were discovered. Every course of broad spectrum antibiotics wipes out the beneficial species of microbes in the gut, which leaves the pathogens in there uncontrolled."

The whole treatment and "BOOK" is based on her GAPS nutritional program, best do a bit of reading about what type of "flora" resides where.

"Sensory information turns into this mush; into a noise in the child's brain, and from this noise the child cannot learn. They cannot decipher anything useful," she explains.

"That's why they don't learn how to communicate. They don't learn how to understand language, how to use language, how to develop all the natural instinctive behaviors and coping behaviors that normal children develop. The second year of life is crucial in the maturation of the brain of the baby. That's when communication skills develop and how instinctive behaviors develop and play skills develop in children and coping behaviors develop.

If the child's brain is clogged with toxicity, the child misses that window of opportunity of learning and starts developing autism depending on the mixture of toxins, depending on how severe the whole condition is, and how severely abnormal the gut flora is in the child."

I do not see a link to a any study, in fact all I can see is perpetuating common myths of autism, and if she is a neurologist "mush" brain clogging is a phrase I can't remember from any dealings with any neurologist, but I have not dealt with many RUSSIAN trained Neurologists working in the UK.

The Claim:

"[Probably tens of thousands of people now, around the world, are saving their children with this program," she says. "… The majority of these people just bought the book, read it, followed the program, and got fantastic results.]"

Diet, Food supplements and detoxification selling a book and you too can become GAPS practioner .. sure sounds like poo poo to me.

Edited by tniuqs

You are correct. There is no study. That's why I said in the original post that I'd like to see one. Just to see if there's validity to any of it.

Let's run the tests and see if there's a decrease in the incidence of autism in the test group. If so, great. Let's run with it. If not, it's one more stone we didn't leave unturned.

There are no established facts here. Just a theory worth investigating.

• Like 1

You are correct. There is no study. That's why I said in the original post that I'd like to see one. Just to see if there's validity to any of it.

Let's run the tests and see if there's a decrease in the incidence of autism in the test group. If so, great. Let's run with it. If not, it's one more stone we didn't leave unturned.

There are no established facts here. Just a theory worth investigating.

Edited by tniuqs

I'll give you 10/1 odds that this is some crone that Jenny McCarthy and her clan dredged up. She's even going back to the vaccination issues.

I'll tell you what, any article that claims to have cured autism is almost certainly full of shit. McCarthy claims it too. The problem is that none of the miracle workers will allow anyone to examine their children and find them autism free. The data used to diagnose them as well as the data presented to show them to be pathology free is vital before they even begin to speak, yet not only is it absent at that time it always stays absent ALL the time. And that's unacceptable and unforgivable.

Katie, I'm guessing you have someone that's autistic in your life?

These sons of bitches pray on the needy and the hopeful. I spent the first 10 years of Dylan's life chasing cures, but at least it provided me with an educational foundation for understanding some of the issues.

There's truly nothing new in this lady's article that I can see. Go to McCarthy's page and you'll see it all laid out the same, more or less, except that she tries to make her page as complicated as possible and splatters it with quotes from 'experts' that are not experts at all.

Good catch on the article. And good on you for caring! I'd love to hear your story...

Dwayne

• Like 1

My son is autistic. He is 10 and was diagnosed at the age of 5. Since when does vaginal flora come from the bowel??! In my experience, bowel flora causes HUGE vaginal infections. Just sayin....and no I'm not going to elaborate lol.

I have heard the vaccination argument and it really has no merit. I even had my son tested for Mercury and nothing. There is no cure for Autism and with 110 children diagnosed everyday...some pure fact based, tried and retried and retried again, science would be awesome news. Freakin crackpots anyway.

The next test to come is the genetic testing, to see if there is a "flaw" in the DNA strand. There are some that say mutation of the 23rd chromosome may be the cause of Autism. Who knows..all I do know that, to me, my son is normal. Autism and AD/HD are all we know. So if you have a "normal" child, count your blessings, because you many.

• Like 1

I do not have someone close to me with autism. I started researching it about four years ago when my wife became pregnant with our second child. She was 40 years old then. Our youngest was delivered, (With some complications), when she was 42. I am 38. Since our age gave us more risk factors, I needed to be learned on prevention of those factors.

My children have no deficits that I am aware of. I count my blessings. But I can't stop thinking and reading about autism. It struck a nerve with me. The direction the research is going doesn't make sense to me.

Think about this... The incidence of autism has increased from 1 in 10,000 forty years ago to 1 in 110. In some places it's 1 in 64. You can say detection methods are better now, but they're not that much better. You don't see genetic abnormalities in that number anywhere else in nature. And they expect us to believe that this drastic increase is a result of a genetic mutation? No way. Only if it was done to us on purpose.

As I see it, there's an environmental cause somewhere. A genetic mutation does not become this widespread in four decades. It's impossible. I can't help believing that something is causing the autism rate to skyrocket. Someone tell me why that's not a logical conclusion.

I've been told not to believe my lying eyes, but the facts don't add up. Tell me I'm missing something.