Free and Discounted Meals

Sometimes I miss that old "dislike" button, EMT-ParaBrown. Your sense of entitlement just because of the uniform you wear is a disgrace to your profession, an embarrassment to your co-workers, and by extension, a risk to your patients, I've seen A-holes with attitudes like yours come and go quickly in this profession, and I sure hope you're gone soon before you do any serious damage. One thing for sure, you'll never have the privilege of wearing the uniform I wear....EVER! That attitude disgusts me.

I "put my life on the line for my patients" (no melodramatic BS at all in that statement) because it's my chosen profession, not so I can get a free cup of coffee once in a while. If you are that desperate for recognition, find another job and get help.

You may want to read beyond the first three comments in a thread before posting a comment of your own next time.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 4

"I feel you are completely off base here. I mean we put our lives on the line to ensure your safety and you can't press three buttons on a computer to cut me a break on my meal. I believe no one in the EMS rescue fire or police should EVER have to pay full price anywhere while in uniform."

Sorry Para, I can't agree with you on this one. I consider my role as an EMT to be vital to our small community but in no way do I think I am entitled to any special bennies.

Have some local places in town that I go to (sometimes in uniforn), employees will ask me questions based on our work but it's all public relations to me.

Sometimes they won't charge me for the coffee with my order, but to me that's a welcome perk, not a requirement.

• Like 2

Today... I used the power of.. well. I guess my pager. Because that was the only item on my person that identified me as being an emergency responder.. and did the whole "its free b/c we're EMS" deal in a hospital cafeteria. Normally, it's free anyway. Drinks anyway.. and normally, I pay for it. What was different today? The GD **********ers leave our $#!t out for anyone and their brother to take off our hands. Well, so far this year, about $412 in stuff has been stolen from their little rummage sale of a supply area... So I thought I'd stick it to the man, and get a free .75c Coke. yeah, %$#@er, take that!

Varies from place to place in my area, also depends who's on the counter. We have an Arby's where 2 of the cashiers and one of the managers give us the police/fire discount which is 50% but the rest won't. If they're working, cool. If not, go somewhere else. Panda Express offers a straight 10% off to all fire/PD/EMS in our area. A few Subway's offer 30-50% off around here. If they offer it, great. If not, start packing a bag lunch. Neither I nor my partner would ever ask for one though. Way I see it, if they don't offer it they aren't going to suddenly change their mind because we ask. It's a privilege not a right imo, but that's just my personal feelings.

I WAS surprised the other day though, stopped at a Firehouse Subs restaurant, the Sub place created and owned by Firefighters and so very very proud of it. There were a couple guys from a township FD in line ahead of us who got really mad when they didn't get a discount. Given that their signs all talk about the wondrous firefighter mythos and stuff it's mildly amusing that they don't offer a discount. The FD guys went off for a bit then left without ordering. I wish I could say the sandwiches were amazing but... I'd be lying. double the cost of subway and not as tasty. It's ironic that they offer no discount given how Fire-centric the company is but it certainly doesn't bother me. Managers/owners make those calls. I'll try to stop at places that offer discounts but only if it's convenient.

Just learned that a local computer shop gives 10% discount to EMS. NOT to FD. :D

Now isn't that novel. The owner is probably a retired medic or a medics mom.

Now isn't that novel. The owner is probably a retired medic or a medics mom.

The founder of the shop is an old school friend of mine, but we have no relation since then, just see him occasionally from the far (and he was not in the shop when I bought this item, I was served by an employee). I know he and his partner are not affiliated to EMS in any way, however I don't know if there is a certain story behind. Maybe I have the chance to ask sometime.

Found it cool: I clearly stated that's a private item and not for the service, just dropping by while on duty (the shop is near the station there) - no problem, got the discount.

• 2 weeks later...

No discounts here in the towns that I serve. Of course, we're pretty small. I think one of the larger hospitals has an EMS room that has snacks and stuff but that's about it. A store in one of the larger towns that sells uniform pants gives a discount with an idea but that's all I can think of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.