• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Room 1:

Come check out the updated chat room.  Any member can use the chat.  Just click the "Chat Room" menu item.

Photo

Use of Drugs among EMS workers..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Off duty medic caught stealing unathorized medications. Should he : (39 member(s) have cast votes)

1. be placed on suspension (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. be fired if found guilty (26 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. if agreed a re-hab center & then closely monitored on probation (9 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. none of the above (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ridryder 911

Ridryder 911

EMS Guru

• Elite Members
  • 3,059 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:41 PM

I read on another forum of a medic that was accused of stealing unauthorized medications.. while not on duty. Do you think he should be discharged immediately, or be offered rehab etc.. I know in my state as a R.N. I have to report even DWI, if I don't my license will be revoked. Then you would have to go through a PEER program where you would be monitored for at least a year, for a DWI.

What if the medic admits taking the medication ?

Do you think EMS should have the same type of programs ?

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

#2 Asysin2leads

Asysin2leads

Prehospital care rock n' rolla

• Elite Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, studying, exercise, studying, and studying.
Good

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:56 PM

I think suspension until satisfactory completion of a rehab course would be the best. Until they are drug free, they shouldn't be around medications, but I know people can be rehabilitated.

#3 Dustdevil

Dustdevil

Rocket Surgeon

• Elite Members
  • 8,994 posts
  • Interests:Cats, travelling, flying, martial arts, music, brunettes
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:30 AM

What if the medic admits taking the medication ?

It depends. When did he "admit" it? Before or after he was caught? And by he "admits taking the medication," do you mean he admitted the theft, or simply admitted to using the medication?

Personally, I have as much tolerance for substance abuse as I have for child abuse. Rehab is unreliable for both, and both are crimes of moral turpitude which seriously diminish or entirely shatter my confidence in the employee's reliability and integrity. I've never understood why there is all this special sympathy for substance abusers in the first place, other than a bunch of liberal drivel from the APA and ACLU. In medicine and nursing they are lenient because of the shortage. We have no shortage of EMTs.

Of course, what you do -- or even can do -- about it depends a lot on where you are. In union and civil service systems, you are extremely limited in how you can deal with the situation. But if it is up to me -- and so long as my legal advisors concur -- I am putting the employee on special duty away from patient care pending the legal outcome of his case. If found guilty, then I am firing them. It's not my responsibility to get them out of the pickle they got themselves into, and there are plenty more rookie EMTs out there more than happy to take his spot.

#4 THE_DITCH_DOCTOR

THE_DITCH_DOCTOR
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:www.traumacentral.com
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:43 AM

Suspend him, notify the state licensing or certifying board and local prosecutor. If found guilty then fire his sorry butt. I have no sympathy for thieves or addicts. They in no way deserve to be treated with kid gloves or be allowed to be put into a position of responsibility or where they could potentially easily feed their addiction. I don't believe "rehab" works for most people.

#5 supasta.

supasta.
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

There should be no exceptions here. He should be removed from service IF FOUND GUILTY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users