Tolerance

Happiness

apology accepted :turned: if you want funny scroll down and watch red neck duck hunting, unless you are against those jokes lol jk

Happiness,

I will definately check it out, I am very much a redneck. I usually have a great sense of humor. Apparently EMT City first thing in the morning while annoyed is not the key. And thanks for accepting my apology!

FireEMT2009

...I understand that this was meant as a joke, but as you can see others did not see it as such. To me, it shows that you lack the needed tact to be in the medical field...

Ok, great posts so far brother, but now your just going insane. You've diagnosed her as unfit to be a medical provider based on her comments, that, by the way, have triggered one of the more intelligent, tolerant threads in a long time, visited by some of the most intelligent providers at the City? Now that alone makes me questions your medical competence... (Irony, see? That was an attempt at a joke. Admittedly, not one of my strong suits.)

...I have arabic friends and they might laugh at this joke but all the same you are posting on a forum for EMS PROFESSIONALS. That means that all courtesy and professional tact should be used at all times no matter what the joke.

Yeah, fuck that.

That sounds good when in a professional environment where decorum is necessary, but this forum, the 'humor' forum, is meant specifically for no holds barred bullshit. It says so in big red letters before you even click on the link. I get where you're coming from my friend, and respect the spirit that drives it, but some of the most productive, most educational, most fruitful debates/discussions/arguments on this board have left me cussing and trying to bandage my massive wounds before they were done. "...all courtesy and professional tact should be used at all times no matter what..." is an awesome goal until it interferes with discussion, debate and learning, which is the ultimate goal of the City, along with all of the others of course.

Wouldn't you agree that though none of us is willing to admit to liking the joke, that it has in fact sparked intelligent input and debate? And can you imagine some other way that mainstream tolerance will ever be possible without illuminated discussion and debate? So then, hasn't Happiness actually done more in this thread to promote tolerance, regardless of her intentions, than most of us have done, say, in the last month or so? So the sum total is a positive, right? Just curious.

...If you were on a pure arabic forum would you be willing to post the same joke? If not then it does not need to be here.

I completely disagree. This joke would not be appropriate on an Arabic forum. But we've given noone reason to believe that this forum is particularly sensitive to Arabic/Muslim sensibilities. I would not say 'fuck' on a Christian forum, though Christian ideals often make me want to use such language.

...When you start to insult and take jabs at a race or religion you must allow them (and their supporters) to defend themselves and tell you whether or not this joke should have been said.

Disagree, I will give them the right to give their opinion on the joke, and express how telling such a joke may cause them to view me, but they have no right, in this environment, to decide what I can and cannot say. That is the domain of the Admin alone. You can try and chase me away, or choose not to participate, but in this private forum you have no right to dictate what I may or may not post.

...This joke if made at a work place, no matter where, it could easily get you fired and make you undesirable in many areas. Just my opinon.

Agreed. I assume that my employers, or future employers may/will read all of what I post here. Is this post the picture of tolerance and professional decorum? Of course not. But I believe that it shows a process of thought, and a clear, though perhaps brash example of written communication, as well as an effort to learn, as well as teach, instead of simply choosing to follow. All things that I think make an EMS environment stronger. (Yeah, probably bullshit, but I like to think that at least some of those things are in here somewhere.) Will all employers like that? Not likely, as EMS tends to like followers. But then again, I'll never have a happy career as a follower so I don't want to work for those folks anyway, nor would they be happy with me.

The politically correct world has gone crazy. But instead of opening things up and making people freer, it has clammed people up, suffocated dialog, made people afraid to have a contrary opinion, and that should be criminal. Blacks, Mexicans, women, Muslims...all the people that the masses tend to fear or be angered by have been locked into their little cages because now we are less able to understand each other as open debate has been deemed off limits unless speaking about the weather.

If in any way my rebuttal has cause you to believe that I have no respect for your opinions, please believe that you are mistaken. I look forward to your posts, as well as look forward to arguing them for many years to come. Thanks for having the balls to participate my friend.

Dwayne

Ok, great posts so far brother, but now your just going insane. You've diagnosed her as unfit to be a medical provider based on her comments, that, by the way, have triggered one of the more intelligent, tolerant threads in a long time, visited by some of the most intelligent providers at the City? Now that alone makes me questions your medical competence... (Irony, see? That was an attempt at a joke. Admittedly, not one of my strong suits.)

Yeah, fuck that.

That sounds good when in a professional environment where decorum is necessary, but this forum, the 'humor' forum, is meant specifically for no holds barred bullshit. It says so in big red letters before you even click on the link. I get where you're coming from my friend, and respect the spirit that drives it, but some of the most productive, most educational, most fruitful debates/discussions/arguments on this board have left me cussing and trying to bandage my massive wounds before they were done. "...all courtesy and professional tact should be used at all times no matter what..." is an awesome goal until it interferes with discussion, debate and learning, which is the ultimate goal of the City, along with all of the others of course.

Wouldn't you agree that though none of us is willing to admit to liking the joke, that it has in fact sparked intelligent input and debate? And can you imagine some other way that mainstream tolerance will ever be possible without illuminated discussion and debate? So then, hasn't Happiness actually done more in this thread to promote tolerance, regardless of her intentions, than most of us have done, say, in the last month or so? So the sum total is a positive, right? Just curious.

I completely disagree. This joke would not be appropriate on an Arabic forum. But we've given noone reason to believe that this forum is particularly sensitive to Arabic/Muslim sensibilities. I would not say 'fuck' on a Christian forum, though Christian ideals often make me want to use such language.

Disagree, I will give them the right to give their opinion on the joke, and express how telling such a joke may cause them to view me, but they have no right, in this environment, to decide what I can and cannot say. That is the domain of the Admin alone. You can try and chase me away, or choose not to participate, but in this private forum you have no right to dictate what I may or may not post.

Agreed. I assume that my employers, or future employers may/will read all of what I post here. Is this post the picture of tolerance and professional decorum? Of course not. But I believe that it shows a process of thought, and a clear, though perhaps brash example of written communication, as well as an effort to learn, as well as teach, instead of simply choosing to follow. All things that I think make an EMS environment stronger. (Yeah, probably bullshit, but I like to think that at least some of those things are in here somewhere.) Will all employers like that? Not likely, as EMS tends to like followers. But then again, I'll never have a happy career as a follower so I don't want to work for those folks anyway, nor would they be happy with me.

The politically correct world has gone crazy. But instead of opening things up and making people freer, it has clammed people up, suffocated dialog, made people afraid to have a contrary opinion, and that should be criminal. Blacks, Mexicans, women, Muslims...all the people that the masses tend to fear or be angered by have been locked into their little cages because now we are less able to understand each other as open debate has been deemed off limits unless speaking about the weather.

If in any way my rebuttal has cause you to believe that I have no respect for your opinions, please believe that you are mistaken. I look forward to your posts, as well as look forward to arguing them for many years to come. Thanks for having the balls to participate my friend.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I completely agree that I was out of line which is why i recanted my previous posts and made a sincere apology. I do understand that this is my joke. I do realize I made myself into a giant ass. It was out of line and Happiness has accepted the apology. My apology was meant for everyone in the forum.

I completely understand your rebuttal. Like I said I was in a horrible mood this morning and was looking for something to lighten my mood and this did the exact opposite. Like I stated in the apology EMT City first thing in the morning while in a bad mood is not the most greatest accomplishment I have ever acheived. So just to make it official, I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE FOR MY PREVIOUS POST!!!!

Sorry brother. I made my post between patients and it took a while. Both you and Happiness replied while I still had it up on my screen so it reflects your pre apology comments only.

Though I WAS looking forward to a spirited debate... :-)

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I completely agree that I was out of line <snip>

Ok I disagree, I do not think you were out of line with your debate points they are typically accepted politically correct thing to do, on the personal directed comments to Happy, pfft well is happy now, it is her spirit, she gave you a peace offering to that end. Even if she watched too many Archie Bunker TV shows growing up she only had CBC (a canadian joke) :withstupid:

The FACT that that forwarded supposed joke is plagerised over and over on the internet, OMG I just realized I have no life ! :blink:

Happy, well until Dwayne "that dumb ass" used the WOMAN WORD which is a proven thread locker.

One thing you should be aware that the old timers here don't hold grudges, (we are just too old for that shit) every topic is a new chapter, its understood that everyone has a bad day, some folks are actually here to vent and "not" take the frustrations we deal with daily basis, back to the job its a coping mechanism.

So get upset at an post and get it out through fingers instead of blowing a gasket in real life. That's the EMT City given, unless it becomes a habit and I just can't see that happening with you.

Remember that "sticks and stone will break your bones" but "words can never hurt you" unless you allow them too ... Ok my Mom messed with that, SHE always had to add extra stuff, you should here me sing our national anthem ! :wacko:

cheers

Sorry brother. I made my post between patients and it took a while. Both you and Happiness replied while I still had it up on my screen so it reflects your pre apology comments only.

Though I WAS looking forward to a spirited debate... :-)

Dwayne

We will have a spirited debate another day, guaranteed.

Ok I disagree, I do not think you were out of line with your debate points they are typically accepted politically correct thing to do, on the personal directed comments to Happy, pfft well is happy now, it is her spirit, she gave you a peace offering to that end. Even if she watched too many Archie Bunker TV shows growing up she only had CBC (a canadian joke) :withstupid:

The FACT that that forwarded supposed joke is plagerised over and over on the internet, OMG I just realized I have no life ! :blink:

Happy, well until Dwayne "that dumb ass" used the WOMAN WORD which is a proven thread locker.

One thing you should be aware that the old timers here don't hold grudges, (we are just too old for that shit) every topic is a new chapter, its understood that everyone has a bad day, some folks are actually here to vent and "not" take the frustrations we deal with daily basis, back to the job its a coping mechanism.

So get upset at an post and get it out through fingers instead of blowing a gasket in real life. That's the EMT City given, unless it becomes a habit and I just can't see that happening with you.

Remember that "sticks and stone will break your bones" but "words can never hurt you" unless you allow them too ... Ok my Mom messed with that, SHE always had to add extra stuff, you should here me sing our national anthem ! :wacko:

cheers

Thanks. I understand venting, ranting, and raving happens. Though my vent, rant, and raving was taken way too far. But luckly the crew here in the City are very forgiving and understanding.

• Like 1

So this thread really didnt start off the way I wanted it to but alas we are kind of off to the races. So by posting the non-joke it has been assumed the conversation should only involve race and religion. In reality we as a society tolerate many things on a daily basis. So I have 2 thoughts to make it go forward.

Hosemonkey's hummmm there's a nice term. They have been known in the city that they are knuckle dragging gorilla's that only has the purpose of carring my equiment at best. So what is it that has made this particular profession intorerant in the EMS world. So it's known I luv hosemonkey's. And to the hosemonkey's here please feel free to say why EMS is intolerable in your bubble.

Also as a 40ish white female it would be nice if people here of other ethnic or religious groups comment on how they are tolerant of our culture. If this thread is to have some sort of vality then it needs 2 sides.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.