Are You Licensed or Certified?

Does your state give a paramedic/emt licensure or a certification? I know many states will use both interchangeably but in the end their paramedics are only certified. So I am wondering what states out there consider and provide a licensure to their paramedics.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering you can't practice in any state without a certification, and it's granted by the state, it's a defacto license (certain internet and real life hacks not withstanding). No reason to get hung up on nomenclature.

The only reason we need to get away from the "certification" language is to place professional responsibility on the paramedic and get away from being beholden to the OMD system. Considering most paramedics don't want that, good luck.

Does being certifiable count? Gotta tell you, though, those white coats with the really long sleeves can get a little uncomfortable.

I know both Maryland and Maine issue a license (with certification as a requirement of licensure) to paramedics. Texas has both certified paramedics and licensed paramedics. A licensed paramedic holds a college degree while a certified paramedic does not. Pennsylvania and New Jersey certify their paramedics. As does West Virginia if I remember correctly.

The problem in Texas is that "licensed" paramedic is actually just another level of certification (Yep, we have a certification call Licenesed Paramedic :wacko:).

Seriously? I didn't realize it was a certification level. I learned something new today.

CERTIFICATION: The process by which an agency or association grants recognition to an individual who has met its qualifications.

LICENSURE: The process by which a governmental agency grants permission to engage in a given occupation to an applicant who has attained the degree of competency required to ensure the public's protection.

In a nutshell, you get certified by the school you attended, and licensed by the state that you're allowed to practice in.

These terms are often mistakenly used as interchangeable, but the differences between certification and licensure are distinct and clear, as delineated by the definitions above.

In most EMS systems in the United States, your authority to practice (license) is generally an extension of your Medical Director’s license.

Michigan and Georgia both issue a state license once your certification obligations are met.

Considering you can't practice in any state without a certification, and it's granted by the state, it's a defacto license (certain internet and real life hacks not withstanding). No reason to get hung up on nomenclature.

I disagree with the above statement simply based on the implication that once you're certified by your school, you're free to go forth and practice. You must be issued a license by the state in order to be granted the privileges to practice.

*Edited to add quote and response*

Edited by Lone Star

How about, I'm a "Licensed Paramedic" certified to work in the state of Texas.

The Licensure has to do with my level of education...the certification gives me the right to work.

Edited by tcripp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.