Trauma shears

I have had my pair of BIG SHEARS (bigshears.com)for about 5 years. I wear them on the side, the back seems to be uncomfortable to me when sitting itneh rig for longer than 5 minutes. On the side it seems to balance out the monster brick 700 mhz radios we wear. :)

I love my bigshears...wouldnt ever give them up. Especially during winter up here with the heavy winter garb people wear down from the ski mountain. I am unaware of a truely comparable product.

The one downside: The price. If you are the type that loses your sunglassess, keys, shears, and wallet within an hour of each other 3-5 times a week...I wouldnt waste the time or money because you wont keep them long enough to use them much. If you can keep ahold of your crap, then they are worth it.

I have had my pair of BIG SHEARS (bigshears.com)for about 5 years. I wear them on the side...

How? I have only seen the horizontal carrier pouch.

How? I have only seen the horizontal carrier pouch.

Horizontal, just on the side and not the back, with the handel facing foward so for me its on the left side. The back is really uncomfortable for me for some reason . :blush:

There is a custom leather shop hear in town that made the CCW holster for my .40 VERTEC beretta...(yes I AM bragging...LOL) but they are not cheap..so I havent decided if I want to fork down close to a hundred dollars for a custom holster for the BIG SHEARS...no matter how nice they are.

I may still ...but it will be something useful and well thought out..probably cary a mini mag as well and the small field guide as well. thats about the only thing I need besides gloves. ...though still not decided. It may be too wankersish....but I digress.

If I think something up, want me to PM you with the result? ...they do on line orders I think as well.

I'm looking into purchasing my own trauma shears since I am left handed. While searching for them online I came across what appears to be the same pair but at different prices ranging from 2 dollars to 9 dollars. Do you guys think these are the same shears at a different price or if there is in fact a difference in these items. Since the most expensive pair is still relatively cheap, my main concern is buying quality and not wasting my money either by purchasing inferior eqiupment or overspending. Thanks for any and all input guys!

I have purchased hundreds of EMS Shears for the people in my EMS Agencies.

I have found that the colored handled shears with the word Pakistan stamped on it seem to be of the best quality.

Or you could get the 45.00 set of shears that AnthonyEMT won at the CAP lab in Ohio in the past year. They were incredible but seemed to be bulky and cumbersome.

If I think something up, want me to PM you with the result? ...they do on line orders I think as well.

Well, I am out of the game for good. And my Big Shears are still in my footlocker from Iraq three years ago, so I won't be shopping for a new holster. But I'm sure the question will come up again, so definitely share anything you find.

I found the horizontal holster quite uncomfortable while in a vehicle seat. But since I spent most of my time on my feet or in an office chair, it wasn't a real problem in Iraq. Of course, in the field, I had to just revert back to normal shears, as it was impossible to wear the Big Shears while armoured up.

You might find it easier to go cordura. You can probably find someone to custom one for you. The guy at my local surplus/camping/paintball store got a holster custom made for my Tiberus T9 pb pistol (needed a lefty). A rigger friend of his (he's retired CF) made it up and the final product cost less than my buddy's holster it was based on.

My only remaining problem with big shears if where to keep them on my belt. So far only the small of my back seems to work ok.

You might find it easier to go cordura. You can probably find someone to custom one for you. The guy at my local surplus/camping/paintball store got a holster custom made for my Tiberus T9 pb pistol (needed a lefty). A rigger friend of his (he's retired CF) made it up and the final product cost less than my buddy's holster it was based on.

My only remaining problem with big shears if where to keep them on my belt. So far only the small of my back seems to work ok.

I would prefere a right sided verticle holster as well. If your buddy will make one ofr you, ask him what he would charge..I may be interested as well.

• 1 month later...

As long as a pair of shears will cut a penny in half, they will go on my belt :coool:

That's my favorite trick to show my non EMS friends!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.