An embarassing story :)

Private Paramedic

I am posting this here because it is funny when you look at it... and to for the newbies not be disheartened when they do something silly....

Working single officer at an event today, I got called to a patient. Get on scene, assess patient, patient happy not have transport organised after treatment (wound assessment and clean only). As it is raining, I put the gear in the back and close the rear door, leaving it so the locking mechanism did not engage as I intended to put the gear away properly. Anyway, I got distracted talking to the patients husband about care needs as I recommended that the patient visit her GP for wound suturing so I kind of forgot about the door....

Get on the road to return to base location, get into a line of traffic at 100km/h.... hear the back door fly open.... look in the mirror, see the car behind me with the driver laughing when normally, you would see a closed rear door....

Lesson learned... close the damn door properly and you do not become the laughing point for a line of traffic.... and luckily none of the gear left the vehicle.

Been there, done that- especially on the older rigs that were bare bones- no warning lights or chimes.

Embarrassing? Sure.

Funny? Yep.

These days, we have so many idiot lights/displays/monitors on our various panels that the cab area looks like the cockpit of the Space Shuttle. LOL

That just happened to my unit chief a few months past. We drove through the hospital parking lot and started down the road. I thought boy something sounds funny in the back and looked through the hole and started to laugh. My unit chief pulled over and we closed. But the funniest thing is that he actually had to walk past the open door to get into the drivers seat. :withstupid:

Same thing happened to me but it was the backboard compartment. We pulled out of the ER and it flapped open. Stopped in the middle of the street to shut it, didnt lose any backboards. The funny part was that when we got back to the station there was a message from an RN at the ER notifying us of the open compartment! A little late...

Yea, had that happen to me as well. The passenger side rear compartment. Wasn't shut correctly when board was taken out. Made a left, door opens and bam, smacked a telephone pole. Bent the door on the hinge. Didn't live that one down for a while.

I did something similar this weekend. My son has really really stinky feet. After we ran some errands, I asked him to leave his car door open so we could air out the car.

Then we got to packing him for his vaction to see grandma and grandpa out of state.

I get up the next morning, realize I'm out of nicotine patches and need to get my son some cough drops for the plane. I go out to run to the pharamacy and low and behold the passenger door is wide open.

Some one was on my side that night because I have no idea how I still had a battery, that the rain we were supposed to have didn't come and that the neighborhood cats didn't use it as a litter box!

-MetalMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.