From Canada

MayhoodEMT

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but it's all stuck to the floor

Edit: Kiwi why do you guys carry an inhaled anesthetic?

Edited by tniuqs

Welcome to the City!

Hope you find the information on the site useful and I am sure you will and have, as there are many, many, knowledgeable and skilled Paramedics on the site.

Brian :beer:

We found it easier to change names to Paramedic and Intensive Care Paramedic, just sayin'

IMHO in a not so perfect world and I agree with dustdevil, for the future and improved delivery of health care and ALL those working in EMS, halt this stepping stone education concept in EMS and put ACP :shiftyninja: on every truck, and raise the high bar. Unlike what my current provincial government is doing ... and lowering the bar.

No other place in medicine are their 5 different levels of education EMR, EMT/PCP, (ICP here is Intermediate) REMT/ACP/ and ICP(NZ)/CCP wearing the same uniform and sharing a similar "title", heck RNs do not ! Its the minimum accepted standars other than care assistants, we have no ER Tecks those are called "porters" in AB.

That said: in AB we have Registered Dental Hygienist and Registered Dental Assistants ... personally I have absolutely no idea what the differences in scope when I open my mouth up, although its quite typically full of my own foot ... :clown:

When you look beyond country borders we are literally shooting ourselves in the foot for any success in organisation in setting up some type of standard of care and recognised scope of practice this is confusing everyone including ourselves. :ph34r: (ps try working for a multinational offshore in remote, austere settings and you will understand EXACTLY what I am saying, its a dogs breakfast of terms, best part is the resumes I see with EMT P (and all the 2 day alphabet courses as "titles" i.e. ALS, ACLS, BTLS, CPR, CCP (from Dog River) or DIPROM that is Diploma of Remote and Offshore Medicine ? wtf over ?

Therfore: I wish to introduce the newest "title" ECP Extreme Care Paramedic, its so much more kool and new age.< tongue in cheek> Point being when the government changes legislation for title protection, one is forced to ask WHY ?

tniuqs RP ... hey Registered Paramedic just might work EH ?

Edited by tniuqs

We used to have Ambulance Officers, Intermediate Care Officers and Paramedics

Now we changed it to Paramedic and Intensive Care Paramedic, the old AOs have to move up to Paramedic if they are paid and the vollies are now called Technicians. There was deliberate so there is a difference, one has a technical skillset and the others are actual medical providers.

I think it works well for the public, is less confusing and provides more unity amongst providers

Now if only Ontario would abandon that silly "symptom relief" package from 1995, get with the times and upskill their PCPs to a similar scope of practice to what Albertobia has

Now if only Ontario would abandon that silly "symptom relief" package from 1995, get with the times and upskill their PCPs to a similar scope of practice to what Albertobia has

Unfortunately, the MAC seems to think that with two years of education PCPs are only capable of giving about eight drugs...

Unfortunately, the MAC seems to think that with two years of education PCPs are only capable of giving about eight drugs...

And I'm ever so looking forward to the big leap backwards that will be the new and exciting standardized Provincial directives.

And I STILL get flack from other medics every time I tout the benefits of the College (if done right, not like what I've heard about ACoP).

Sorry Doc your not getting much support for the college here either. As for naming conventions...... well we still technically have EMT, EMT-A, and EMT-P in addition to the newer PCP, ICP, and ACP, plus EMR and CCP (CCP is not technically recognized, even by the college if I remember correctly) And although at work we all wear the old names, there are training differences. No wonder people are confused when I tell them I am an EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.