Hello! FL Student needs HELP!

LenyR

Hello everyone my name is Leny i am 19yrs old and i am currently a student, i will be graduating this may, but ive been wanting to move back to new york for sometime now so my problem is, would i be able to find a job as an emt there? Howhard would it be? what do i have to do? and what places do i apply to and how? In FL its just a regular application and i have no idea how to get a job as an EMT overt there. If anyone is currently an EMT in new york i will greatly appreciate anything that can point me in the right direction. i know i have some rookie like questions but i really need help i have all my family there and theres nothing here in FL for me. Im looking to go around the city area but anywhere within driving range or anywhere else im more than willing to do what ever it is i have to. So Please EMT city, Help me!

has anyone else done this before?

If you mean a New Yorker moving back home from Floridia, no, I don't believe that has ever been done before. I do wish it would happen more often though! ;)

But seriously, I don't know where in FL or NY you live (both are big states, and the job situation varies greatly from county to county), but generally speaking, you probably will have a better job market in NY than FL. FL is notorious for having very few real EMS opportunities. The down side is that it is much easier to eat on a measly EMT salary in FL than in NY. Hopefully you'll be living with family for free. Good luck.

Edited by Dustdevil

If you mean a New Yorker moving back home from Floridia, no, I don't believe that has ever been done before. I do wish it would happen more often though! ;)

But seriously, I don't know where in FL or NY you live (both are big states, and the job situation varies greatly from county to county), but generally speaking, you probably will have a better job market in NY than FL. FL is notorious for having very few real EMS opportunities. The down side is that it is much easier to eat on a measly EMT salary in FL than in NY. Hopefully you'll be living with family for free. Good luck.

i mean likei live in FL now andi wanna move back to ny when im done with school, i want to get a job as an emt there and finish school over there as well, im also wondering if anyone has transfered their license or if it has to be done even though i will be NREMT? i have so many questions and i looked all over online and nothing really answers it specific enough.

Thanks again!

What I'm trying to say is that getting a reciprocal licence is the uber easy part. Getting a job is the very hard part. A smart man would be focused upon determining the feasibility of actually making his investment back, not the routine paperwork of the transfer. A licence without a job is a waste of time and money. And that is very likely to be what you face.

What I'm trying to say is that getting a reciprocal licence is the uber easy part. Getting a job is the very hard part. A smart man would be focused upon determining the feasibility of actually making his investment back, not the routine paperwork of the transfer. A licence without a job is a waste of time and money. And that is very likely to be what you face.

What? So you think i wont be able to find work overthere? Thats not the kind of encouragement i was looking for.. but thanks anyways

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/main

In NYC, many hospitals have closed. Most of the closed hospitals had EMS Dept. Most were 1199 SEIU union members. Many of the opened hospitals are 1199 hospitals. So, the out of work members must get placed first before new hires are taken. There are Privates and even they are strapped due to business (hospitals closed) being slow. FDNY EMS is your best bet but they are on a freeze. Plus, HHS have not increased reimbursement in years but cost of living and minimum waged has increase. In NYS, many hospitals have closed and outside NYC; 911 is not paid for EMTs; they volly or work in Private Ambulances.

I can tell you first hand; its hard. I've been an EMT since 95 and a Paramedic since 98. I worked in NYC Hospital EMS for 10years and managed one for 3years; I lost my job because of closings. Luckily the dept I managed, had business with a Private Ambulance Company. The Manager there liked my approach and handling in my hospital closing (I stayed till the end; I used personal funds to keep the dept afloat; I took a pay cut to keep it afloat; I jumped on the truck to do calls, when my employees bailed out; I made sure all who had accrued time were paid out, told all Full timers and Part timers not to come back to work until they used up their time). So he offered me a job as a Supervisor. The pay was better and I've been there since 08. I am still owed $5000+ from the hospital. I guess what I'm saying is without hardwork, ethical values, and persistence; it will be harder than it has to.

Call NYS DOH EMS; leave a message about your situation and they'll get back to you. Good luck... All the best...

What? So you think i wont be able to find work overthere? Thats not the kind of encouragement i was looking for.. but thanks anyways

Sorry. You didn't make it clear that you wanted encouragement, What you said was, and I quote:

would i be able to find a job as an emt there?

Usually when someone asks a very specific question like this, they are seeking realistic information, not sunshine blown up their panties. Unless you specify otherwise, we generally take people seriously. I didn't realise you just came to jerk us around. My mistake. I promise nobody here take you seriously again, so hopefully your dream world won't be disturbed by reality. Ciao.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.