• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo
- - - - -

IV Zantac in Anaphylaxis

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 croaker260

croaker260
  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:EMS, RPG, Movies, Books
Good

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

OK, How many of you are using IV Zantac in Anaphylaxis. I am going to be doing our proposal to add it to our protocol and am wondering who else is doing it and using what regimine. Also if you can post the costs per vial I appreciate it so I can compare it to our prices.

#2 mobey

mobey
  • Elite Members
  • 2,241 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Not me, just wondering though, what else is included in yours that your adding Zantac?

Do you already have steroids?

#3 tcripp

tcripp
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 688 posts
Good

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:11 AM

No Zantac here...just diphenhydramine (in addition to epi, albuterol and solumedrol).

Since the Benadryl seems to be a standard in these parts, I'm curious to know what are you hoping to gain by going with this drug?

Are you looking at adding it to the Benadryl...or instead of?

Edited by tcripp, 07 April 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#4 croaker260

croaker260
  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:EMS, RPG, Movies, Books
Good

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

Not me, just wondering though, what else is included in yours that your adding Zantac?

Do you already have steroids?

We already have Epi IM, Epi nebs, Benadryl, Solu-medrol.

No Zantac here...just diphenhydramine (in addition to epi, albuterol and solumedrol).

Since the Benadryl seems to be a standard in these parts, I'm curious to know what are you hoping to gain by going with this drug?

Are you looking at adding it to the Benadryl...or instead of?

Adding it to the existing protocol. Using both H1 and H2 inhibitors combined decreases severity, duration and incidence of multiphasic reactions when compared to H1 blockers alone. Locally it is standard treatment once they get in the ER to give Zantac IV even if they have had steroids and benadryl,

Edited by croaker260, 07 April 2011 - 03:11 AM.

#5 NYCEMS9115

NYCEMS9115
  • Members
  • 451 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:33 AM

It has drug interactions with several common Rx'ed medications: Valium, Coumadin, Procardia Glipizide, Metoprolol. Just to name a few. I doubt you'll get it even in the conversation to be placed into Anaphylaxis. Since its not a life saving medication. Benadryl works well. However, good luck in your quest. All the best...

In Hospital Care and EMS Care are not same. What the ER does or doesn't do, can't be the only reason to place it into the EMS protocol. Why is it so important to be a medication for you to have? Asking for protocol change is like pulling teeth. Been there doing/done it. You'll get a lot of resistance. Be ready. Good luck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users