Bandaid FAIL

mobey

So my sister finally went to the ER after a 4 day migrane.

They first gave her T3's and sent her home.

After having a bad reaction (Nausea, cramps, sweats, dizziness etc) she went back.

They ended up giving her Tordol, Maxeran, and a 1000ml bolus of NaCl.

This proved to relieve her migrane.

Once the IV bag ran dry, it was time to leave.

As my sister reported, an older nurse with coke-bottle glasses came in and discontinued the I.V. put on a bandaid to cover the hole, and my sister was discharged. She didn't even get out the front door and she HAD to take this pic and text it too me!

iv.jpg

BTW: sorry the pic is so small, I have no idea how to enlarge..... you get the idea though

Edited by mobey

OMG mobey - that is incredibly sad, yet funny... I think you could make a Lego youtube video about that.

Your sis should talk to her family doc about the treatment she received, and show her doc that pic. That is pathetic.

While I don't remember why I was in the ER on an IV, I do recall that the doctor walked back into the examining room, and asked why I was still there, an hour after he'd discharged me. Then I showed him that I was still with a flowing IV in my arm.

While I do not speak Hindi, it was obvious he was cursing under his breath, as he DC'd the IV, and bandaged the site (correctly).

Reminds me of the char Andy Dick played in "Employee of the Month". This kind of care should be reported before she hurts someone. Yes I know it was just a bandaid, but she was also a nurse. That means she has her hands on equipment that can potentially harm a patient or kill them if not used properly.

Also, hope your sister feels better. Migraines are hell.

Edited by FireMedic65

Reminds me of the char Andy Dick played in "Employee of the Month". This kind of care should be reported before she hurts someone. Yes I know it was just a bandaid, but she was also a nurse. That means she has her hands on equipment that can potentially harm a patient or kill them if not used properly.

Also, hope your sister feels better. Migraines are hell.

Let’s not get overly dramatic here. With the exception of piss poor bandaid placement the treatment received was absolutely appropriate to the condition.

Should it be mentioned to this particular care provider? Certainly. Should this care provider be reprimanded over a poorly placed bandaid? No. Sometimes we need to inject our criticisms with a dose of reality. The only reason a post-removal IV site is typically covered is to control any resultant bleading. Once any bleeding is controlled it's removed. Without Mobey filling us in, how do any of us know the apparently missed insertion site isn't an old one from another failed IV attempt?

Band-Aids? People still use Band-Aids? Isn't that what 2x2's and tape are for?

Band-Aids is indeed a brand name, but NY State EMTs are not allowed to use them, as it is considered a "completed treatment", therefore not within EMT Scope Of Practice. We still have to carry them, so we can give them to a Crack Ho, whose child got a skinned knee, that they might put it on the youngun. (Sarcasm heavily intended)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.