Canadian Trained Paramedic want to live in OZ

Hockeygod

Hello to all,

I have started a few topics inquiring about overseas jobs as a paramedic. This inquiry is about working in Australia. There have been other topics started on this website with the same sort of questions and answers, but they date back to 2009. I have been peppering every province in Aus with e-mails and I'm getting mixed responses. I need to talk to a Canadian who is trained ALS and has made the move...or someone who knows what it is I need to do. I don't mind starting at what would be considered PCP in Ontario (Salbutamol, Glucagon/oral glucose, auto defib, Epi IM/NEB...ect) and making the move later. I'm also VERY (and I mean VERY) interested in the possibility of advancing my training to ICP in the future in Australia. I've heard nothing but good things of the paramedic programs out there and would love to be a part of this program and gain more knowledge.

I am 27 years old, do not presently hold any work experience with a service, and I'm about to finish my 3rd year (ALS) of school. Combined, my program will have given me over 1200 hours on the road and around 30 shifts in OR, ER, and children's hospitals working with patients. I currently work for a patient transfer company (which from what I understand is Paramedic level 1 in certain parts of Aus) and have been doing it for the last 3 years.

I understand that QLD and NSW are probably the best choices. I have been in contact with Victoria province and they have told me that at least a year of experience on the road would be needed before I could make the move. I have also heard about these companies that work with miners in west australia...2 weeks on and 2 weeks off...does such an awesome job exist???

Here are the BLS and ALS standards for Ontario Canada:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/pdf/bls_patient.pdf

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/pdf/als_standards.pdf

Again, i have made coutless enquiries with Australian services and have heard a variety of information. I'm aware that you need 3 years experience to apply for the ENS VISA and blah blah.... i'm just looking for my best options...

If someone can help in any way it would be immensely appreciated, Australia has appealed to me since a very young age and i need to make this dream come true.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.