Selling EMS equipment

Selling that stuff is probably legal but when some one goes to use it and there not licensed then thats a problem. Personally if you buy that stuff off of craigs list your an id10t lord knows where that stuffs been or it might be expired or even punctured.

If it was me I would not buy that sort of thing off of ebay and craigslist. There are plenty of places online to buy that stuff are alot better besides criagslist.

eBay is a true money saver for poor EMS. I bought four KED's on there, brand new, US Gov't. Surplus, $5 each. I've bought a lot of collectibles, EMS wise, but alot of good supplies, very cheap. Bulk items, cases, etc., pediatric boards. Things that we need, but really can't afford to buy MSRP. Bought some stuff for the WSAR Squad, a SKED, they're expensive, it was only $99, new in box. I like to pick out a few reputable sellers, and stick with them. But I'm always interested in a deal too.

I know that I have things at home in my home jump bag that I would never be able to use on the street. The man who performed my wedding and close friend of mine did 2 tours in Vietnam as a special forces medic. His gift to me for going to paramedic school (under the instructions to never use it on the street) was a OD 1972 Special Forces field surgical kit. Would I(or should I) be able to buy it? No not legally, but it is the best damn splinter kit in the world. Guess I have a little zombie hunter in me too.

Fireman1037

I know that I have things at home in my home jump bag that I would never be able to use on the street. The man who performed my wedding and close friend of mine did 2 tours in Vietnam as a special forces medic. His gift to me for going to paramedic school (under the instructions to never use it on the street) was a OD 1972 Special Forces field surgical kit. Would I(or should I) be able to buy it? No not legally, but it is the best damn splinter kit in the world. Guess I have a little zombie hunter in me too.

Fireman1037

Something like that is classic a keepsake and collectible. Owning it has meaning. Got and pics of it?

I guess you never really realize what people will sell without realizing it's not ok. I know this is illegal here... partly because you can't put a siren on a non-emergency vehicle. Also because you have to have a prescription for an AED.

http://minneapolis.c...1734535855.html

Oh, and I'm with mrsbull, it scares the heck out of me that people would sell/buy this stuff secondhand. especially the more ALS stuff.

EDIT: repaired link

Edited by BlissEMT

I guess you never really realize what people will sell without realizing it's not ok. I know this is illegal here... partly because you can't put a siren on a non-emergency vehicle. Also because you have to have a prescription for an AED.

http://minneapolis.c...1734535855.html

Oh, and I'm with mrsbull, it scares the heck out of me that people would sell/buy this stuff secondhand. especially the more ALS stuff.

EDIT: repaired link

ummmmm the post says the light bar is Orange? Last I knew orange was leagle to have for everyone as for AEDs they are becomeing like fire bottles.

Edited by +medic

Does having a siren as a part of the car's burglar alarm system constitute an illegal (separate category from annoying) siren? Due to lack of space under the hood, I have no emergency siren in my current vehicle, but do own 3 electronic siren boxes, 2 siren speakers for the same, 2 older style motor driven sirens, and a siren used as a car burglar alarm (see link http://www.jcwhitney.com/mini-motor-driven-sirens/p2001354.jcwx).

I also advise all that in the past, I was authorized "Red Lights and Siren" privileges with my VAC, under NY State Vehicle and Traffic law #115C.

Section 115-c. Emergency Ambulance Service Vehicle. An emergency ambulance service vehicle shall be defined

as an appropriately equipped motor vehicle owned or operated by an ambulance service as defined in section three

thousand one of the public health law and used for the purpose of transporting emergency medical personnel and

equipment to sick or injured persons.

Richard if the siren is part of a buglar alarm and not used for another reason then no its not illegal. Just as anyone can have any number of strobes, wig wags, sirens, what-have-yous on their vehicle as long as they are used "off-road" ie car shows, events, parades. Using them on the streets to move traffic is illegal and actually, depending on the officer can be a crime.

Here in NJ we need a permit for blue or red lights. Blue being for EMS and fire with red for Captains and Cheifs. We are allowed to have electric horns but not sirens unless we are chief or captain.

1. Section 1 of P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7) is read as follows:

1. An active member in good standing of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad recognized by and rendering service in any municipality may display on any motor vehicle driven by him an emergency warning light or lights or an electronic horn, approved by the director, or both light or lights and electronic horn as provided in this act. The Director of Motor Vehicles shall not require the member to specify on which motor vehicles the emergency warning light or lights or the electronic horn may be mounted. "Electronic horn" means a non-pneumatic, non-wavering electronic, audible warning device. 20 (cf: P.L.1995, c.37, s.1)

There is alot more to the law such as the part about red lights, mounting locations, use and the newly added (but never informed to the public) section about driver haveing to pull over to give you the same courtsy that an ambulance or fire truck gets.

... that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights or an electronic horn in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.(cf: P.L.1977, c.223, s.6)

As far as selling equipment, if its not needed to be sterile or for life saving measures (aeds, cricks, ect) then I really dont see a problem with it. I bought some stuff off Ebay that I carry with me. Scissors, tape, gauze rolls, gloves, bags, tools. Nothing a trip to the supply store couldn't get me but the prices were good for bulk (the gloves, tape and gauze). As far as AEDs and the like, NO that should be regulated. I can see buying training ones (the ones that dont really work just simulate everything) as that would be good to keep your skills up but working stuff should need proper ID and orders to get. I am one of the supply guys on my squad and have a card with the Squad name and Rx number on it to go to the local supplier and purchase stuff like airways, meds, ect. but when I get there I still have to give my DL so if anything gets hinky they know who to blame even though the guy knows me by now.

ummmmm the post says the light bar is Orange? Last I knew orange was leagle to have for everyone as for AEDs they are becomeing like fire bottles.

Ooh, you're right, that was my bad. :rolleyes2:

Amber is not an emergency color. And anyone can buy certain types of AED.

Um... not here. My CPR instructor had to fight with the AED supplier to get the trainers without a prescription. A friend of mine in rural EMS carries one in her car, and her Medical Director had to put the order in writing in order for her to get an AED for her work vehicle. If it's a hassle to get them in those situations, they definitely should NOT be sold on craigslist or e-bay without some kind of inspection, and I'm not even sure if that's possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.