Selling EMS equipment

I was looking on CL today for some EMS pants or boots. I came across this post. When does it become illegal to sell this stuff? I mean thru a dealer who check and is qualified to sell the items to the PROPER personnel I can see that. But some of the things I have seen for sale online thru private citizens is unreal!! I have seen different items online for sale that concern me should it get into the wrong hands. Anyone know is selling things like this is legal??

http://denver.craigslist.org/hab/1733737839.html

1 New in Box, Sterility and packaging intact. Complete components. Never opened, no holes in wrapper. Sealed and sterile.

4mm Adult size

$90

Other EMS and ALS medical supplies available.

I am always looking for hospital/Military grade medical supplies and equipment. Please contact me if you have something to sell.

Please email me through the CL link

Thank you

Description:

The Rusch QuickTrach allows quick and safe access for ventilation in the presence of acute respiratory distress with upper airway obstruction. The kit consists of a pre-assembled emergency cricothyrotomy unit with a 10 milliliter syringe attached to a padded neck strap and a connecting tube.

Components:

1 Quicktrach, sterile with stopper

1 Syringe

1 Connecting tube with 15 mm adapter

1 Cushion neckband

tags:

EMT Paramedic nurse medic equipment first aid airway intubation laryngoscope iv saline trauma tracheotomy crickit narp nar kerlix ifak bvm bandage celox quickclot quikclot ambulance

Buyer: please use good judgment, and discretion. To be used only by qualified, certified and trained personnel.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1733737839-0 image 1733737839-1

PostingID: 1733737839

I don't think that a individual can sell a medical product like that without some sort of healthcare sales license or permit.

I know that if it says use restricted to a doctors order then I think the seller needs to be a qualified healthcare sales outlet.

Plus, are you going to trust someone on craigslist(killerslist,whoreslist) to guarantee the safety and quality of this device for your patients?

I would go witha qualified seller

Plus, how do you know the stuff wasn't missing on the local ems agencies dock and ended up on craigslist.

At least with Ebay you can verify the seller identity or require him to give you proof or you can report him. ON craigslist you don't have that option.

If they're reselling medical equipment, they need a permit to do that. eg. "Reseller License" If they're selling controlled substances and devices, they need a permit and DEA License to do that. Consider in some cases, however, that it may be a family selling products left behind from the death of a post-surgical or cancer patient. This guy, sounds like one of those ZombieSquad ppl that buy crap just because they can.

If you ever look close, even some of the most basic equipment we use, has "Federal Law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician". I just read it off the package of a Yankauer.

I may have not stated clearly enough that I would NEVER purchase anything like that from CL. I have bought items for my home before such as dressers and the like, and I think even a bp cuff for school.

I just don't know the point WHEN it becomes illegal. I think the Cric kit should be illegal. But who do you report the unlawful selling of these items??

Defibs (IMO) should be illegal to sell unless to a licensed provider AND it is from a dealer, you never know what you are getting or why they are selling it. Is someone REALLY going to test it to see if it works properly?? I dont believe it is something that you can jsut take somewhere to get it checked. Who knows maybe it is and I am incorrect. Irregardless it scares the tar outta me. Iv setups ok sure some ppl know how to do it and I am sure it will be a hey wanna see a cool party trick?? (I can see a new Darwin Award brewing)

These items who are to be used by trained personnel should be monitored. I am a Basic I do not need a shiny intubation setup. I also would not be intubating anyone outside of work where I am protected.

At what point is the line drawn?? What items have ya'all seen for sale like this?

If they're reselling medical equipment, they need a permit to do that. eg. "Reseller License" If they're selling controlled substances and devices, they need a permit and DEA License to do that. Consider in some cases, however, that it may be a family selling products left behind from the death of a post-surgical or cancer patient. This guy, sounds like one of those ZombieSquad ppl that buy crap just because they can.

If you ever look close, even some of the most basic equipment we use, has "Federal Law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician". I just read it off the package of a Yankauer.

I agree! However it is difficult to monitor these items. I would be willing to bet that most if not all of these items are stolen from who knows where.

Wow on a suction catheter?? You can get suction devices online. I have never got one but I would think you would be able to get the tips/catheters from the places that sell them to. So does that mean that a Yankauer is an RX device?

• Like 1

If you look on the top right of the CL post, there is a box where you can "flag" the ad. It should say something like spam, categorized wrong, or prohibited. I flagged it already because, well... it is illegal to sell something like that. Everyone else should flag it too.

If you look on the top right of the CL post, there is a box where you can "flag" the ad. It should say something like spam, categorized wrong, or prohibited. I flagged it already because, well... it is illegal to sell something like that. Everyone else should flag it too.

Flagging it will only remove this post, he can create 100 more.

Wow on a suction catheter?? You can get suction devices online. I have never got one but I would think you would be able to get the tips/catheters from the places that sell them to. So does that mean that a Yankauer is an RX device?

You haven't seen that before? Pretty much all medical supplies say that, ems and otherwise. I have been a phlebotomist for 5 years, and used to have to carry all my supplies in my trunk. The needles and tubes and stuff all had that physican warning on them. I don't think that it means you had an actual RX for it, but that it can't be sold to just anybody. ie: the lab could buy them but I couldn't go out and say hey I want to buy my own needles. But I am not entirely sure. But I have seen that warning on almost everything.

Hmmm, you got me to thinking. Now, I have to find out which physician wrote out the prescription for my house of worship to purchase their new AED for PAD (Public Access Defibrillation) purposes, and where they got it.

(Actually, they got it after my brother in law collapsed at services some months ago. He's fine now, by the way.)

You haven't seen that before? Pretty much all medical supplies say that, ems and otherwise. I have been a phlebotomist for 5 years, and used to have to carry all my supplies in my trunk. The needles and tubes and stuff all had that physican warning on them. I don't think that it means you had an actual RX for it, but that it can't be sold to just anybody. ie: the lab could buy them but I couldn't go out and say hey I want to buy my own needles. But I am not entirely sure. But I have seen that warning on almost everything.

No I have not seen it. I suppose I dont read the packages very well unless it has a size or whatever on it that I need. Like needle size or the exp date. But I have never read the "small print". I think I will be reading more lol.

So what does it mean a physicians "warning" umm you can purchase this but it is not smart to use it unless trained? Is it more of a we would rather you not, instead of this is an RX item? As opposed to DO NOT use unless trained and or under a Drs care/direction.

Flagging it will only remove this post, he can create 100 more.

I agree it should be flagged. However I did not flag it because I wanted the folks on here to be able to see the AD before I flagged it.

But flagging will only get this person to repost it and make it to the top where some Zombie Slayer (or whatever the hell those wierdos are) will continue to do this crap. I mean how can you report something like that. To who?? PD aint going to do much.

This is putting others in danger by selling things like this not regulated. What about a resale to a supply company where THEY can send it to the manufacturer (for defibs and etc items like that) to get the item in question refurbished and recycled so to speak.

This needs to stop!! It scares the hell out of me.

I mean cmon, Mr and Mrs Smith go camping with the Jones family. Mrs Smith gets injured and needs an airway. Mr Jones who is a gas station attendant (aka Zombie Slayer) had a Cric Kit in his First Aid Bag. Mr Jones says don't worry I can help I saw this on TV once I will fix you!! (Pauses to put his cape on) Granted it was an episode of Trauma (Dammn you Rabbit :D ) that he saw and something on you tube describing how to do it and he proceeds to Cric her in the process kills her. Cause the only thing Mr Jones has experience in "First Aid" is getting Gas out of his eye cause he cant even pump a freaking hose (that was for dust).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kahoOfAndDc

Well there you go folks I watched the video and let me tell you I feel ready!! Anyone wanna go camping with me I'll bring the beer and Cric Kit!!! Cause I watched a youtube video!! :beer::thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.